Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Engorged after 8 1/2 months?

Default Engorged after 8 1/2 months?

Hope I am posting this in the right place. LO is 8 1/2 months now. He has been sleeping through the night since 3 months old. Initially, I had engorgement overnight until my body adjusted. But all of a sudden yesterday morning I woke up with an enormous rock hard right breast. So engorged that LO didn't want to latch on. It was relieved a bit after nursing but it was still larger than the left for the majority of the day and never really felt empty (the top part is still a little hard). Now this morning both of my breasts were huge and rock hard and leaking - just like in the beginning days. After nursing on both sides there has been some relief though, but I thought maybe I have a clogged duct (which I have had once before and felt so much worse than this). So what the heck is going on all of a sudden? Could it be hormones? I think I may have been ovulating for the first time last week (EWCM and sore nipples and cramps). Could my changing hormones be causing a supply increase? Sorry so long!
    Loving mama to S - 11/06, and F - 1/09

Default Re: Engorged after 8 1/2 months?

I have always tended to be engorged, I am an overproducer. A lot of women would be envious, but it is painful. Do you have a pump, or can you manually express until it's soft enough for him to nurse? Also hot compresses can trigger your letdown and help with either one. My little guy is also 8.5 months and I still have a big problem with overproduction on one side. I try to control it with icepacks and/or green cabbage. I've just gone back to the cabbage after several weeks of ice only because my left one is still producing 2-3 times as much as my right one. (I had an injury to my right nipple that got so severe that I had to pump only on that side for over a week to let it heal.) Is the engorgement the only issue or are you lopsided too? You may need to pump during the night until your body gets used to producing less. Or put ice packs on them (or the side that's overproducing) for 20 minutes before you go to sleep. I hope this helps.