Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do I get LO to take more hindmilk?

Default Re: How do I get LO to take more hindmilk?

Update: Well she still eating about the same and her poops went from yellow, to yellow-green, and now they are straight green. I will probably get her weighed sometime next week during my home health visit. Also, she is now at her growth spurt, eating a lot the past 5 hours, and finally napping now to give mommy a little break.

Quote Originally Posted by NewMom06 View Post
    Who ever thought that in this stage of my life I'd be so concerned about what color poop is!
    I know right. DH was changing her diaper, and I was asking him a million and one questions about her poop, and he looked at me like I was crazy, and then just handed me the diaper so I could inspect it for myself.

Green poop isn't in itself a bad thing. Poop comes in all colors! More info on poop color.

I would not use pumping as a solution to over supply. Pumping milk out causes your body to make MORE milk - so you would be constantly over supplied. Did you read the stickies in the Too Much Milk forum? A better solution might be block feeding. You block feed by using one breast for multiple feedings. That way baby gets the fatty hindmilk when that breast is more empty (like maybe for the 2nd and 3rd feeding) and the other breast is very full which signals for milk producition to slow down. This helps your body adjust your supply to what your LO is eating. Did you see this LLL article? Some moms liked to time their blocks staying at one breast 4-6 hours before switching sides. I preferred to let DD feed on the same side until it was really really tiny, until she had creamy milk dripping from her lips, or until she was fussy when I offered her the lower side (as if she was still hungry).

As PPer said, they get better at nursing, so 8-10 minutes is plenty of time for your LO to be nursing. (Especially if you have OALD because the milk is coming out fast!)

When baby gets too much foremilk, it irritates those little intestines. It can take a while for them to heal. DD had icky poops for about 2 weeks after I thought my supply was regulated. And that took a few weeks of block feeding in our case to get my supply down.

Oh, I just read your post more carefully. Sometimes food allergies have the same gassy, green poops as oversupply. It could be a food allergy. If I eat anything with dairy in it DD is gassy, urpy, and poops green for about 2 weeks. Other things upset her stomach too: caffeine, soy, eggs. Do you have any food allergies in your family?

Also, OALD will not cause green poops (but oversupply will). When my milk lets down I pull DD off and give her my finger for a few minutes until I stop spraying her. And now, she is big enough that she just gulps it down, but those first few months were trying.

If you are lucky enough to have an LC, it never hurts to get a professional opinion.

Hey, a PA girl! Welcome!

Thanks noodlenerd for the info. I have eaten some dairy, but not a lot, and I have had some tea, so I will cut back on these to see if any improvements occur

Also, sometimes they are just being babies. 6-8 weeks was a very fussy time for us. It gets easier! Before you know it he'll be sitting up and laughing at you!

Thanks everyone for all of your help. I revisited the block feedings and it has worked a lot better. I did it based on breast fullness, not on time, and her poops turned back yellow. She is still a little fussy eater, esp at night, but that is just probably her fussy time.

We have had a similar problem. Once the supply/demand stage of my supply began it really helped. (Remember for about the first 3 weeks your body is still trying to figure out if you are feeding one infant or a whole village of them!)

I would be very hesitant to introduce the pump at this early stage. For sure, DO NOT pump to express foremilk as this will just make the situation worse 24-72 hours from now. In fact, I've read LC literature that suggests against even expressing a little at the start of a feed to help with a strong ejection reflex (which is often associated with oversupply).

A few things that helped us: block feeding or even just beginning on the previous breast with each new feeding and also breast compressions, which I learned about on KellyMom. (Newman also has a video of this technique on the BirthDen site - the link is at the bottom of the KellyMom page.) When LO starts to slow down toward the end of a feeding this is a nice little "reminder". Links: http://www.kellymom.com/newman/15bre...mpression.html

Finally, have you listened to the LL podcast on this issue? It's toward the middle of the page: http://www.llli.org/podcasts.html

Good luck. With time it WILL work out.