Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do I get LO to take more hindmilk?

Default How do I get LO to take more hindmilk?

My LO is 2wks, 6 days old today, and for the past week, she only eats for about 8-10 mins each feeding and I feed her about 8 times a day and I have to usually tickle her a lot to get her to that 10 min mark or up to 12 min. She has about 7-8 wet diapers a day, and about 6 stools a day and on average can be a somewhat gassy baby, and a little fussy when she eats. Due to flat nipples, I use a nipple shield to feed her, though if she isnt too fussy, sometines she will take the right breast without the shield. I suspect that I have OALD since her stools have turn from yellow to yellow-green and sometimes just straight green, and after my milk letdown (which it often does 2x if she delatches) she gets really fussy, and often chokes at the breast, gulping, and often times she will delatch and get really frustrated.

Well, last night she got ultra frustrated to the point where I tried to tube feed her formula and bottle feed her expressed bm. Well, she took neither, and then finally after about 2 hours of frustration and me half the night, she took the breast again for about 8 min and went to sleep. I know she is about to come upon her 2nd growth spurt, and I am confused as to what I should do. I have tried nursing her in an uphill position, block feeding, and I have tried removing her from the breast after letdown, but that seemed to make her just as fussy as leaving her on the breast. I talked to my LC, and she said that she doesnt believe its OALD, and if I have more issues, then I can come in to her office sometime next week.

So any help/suggestions would be most appreciated? Also, should I be overly concerned that at this age she doesnt eat that long? When she first started, she was eating about 23-25 min each feeding, one breast and her weight gain is good.
    Last edited by Sweet C; August 10th, 2007 at 10:04 AM.

Default Re: How do I get LO to take more hindmilk?

It's hard for me to answer this question because it all sounds good to me! I always fed my daughter in under 10 minutes. I had plenty of milk and a good let-down and once we got through the initial 2 weeks, she nursed like a pro. Each nursing session was really fast for me and she was happy and satisfied. It sounds like your baby might be done after 8-10 minutes. Is she crying afterwards or showing frustration? Is there a reason, like weight gain, that makes you think she should be eating more? You might just have a very efficient nurser, which is awesome. I remember in the early weeks, my breasts were still really full and my supply wasn't totally regulated (over-supply) so sometimesmy daughter would be done but I still felt like I wasn't totally emptied. The supply & demand will kick in though and it will all become regulated based on what she needs. Sounds like you are doing well!

I am not sure if this will help or not, but this link from kellymom talks about foremilk/hindmilk, and towards the bottom it mentions ways of getting more hindmilk.
    I know that is not answering all your questions, but I know other mommas will chime in!

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!

HI I also have an OALD and I noticed in the early AM I pump alot out and it helps with the OALD for the rest of the day. Also a few times I pump a little before feeding and it gets rid of some of the foremilk so that she gets majority of the hindmilk. MY baby girl also eats for very short periods- less than 10 minutes unless it's bedtime and she'll nurse to fall asleep. Good luck and I hope you figure it out but everything sounds great to me!

Pumping a bit in the a.m. is an awesome idea! Also, pumping off some of the foremilk, like suggested, is a terrific idea! Your let down will be much easier for baby to handle and she will get more hind milk that way. I never thought of that

Well about 40 minutes ago, I checked her diaper and it was bright yellow, so I did a little happy dance for about a min, until she pooped again and it was yellow-green. I feed her and she ate for about 12 mins and peed 2x. She wasnt ultra fussy when I was trying to feed her, but she is a little funny to me, b/c she seems to rather want to put up with a faster milk flow than to let go of the breast. If she delatches, she gets upset really quick, and immediately wants to be put back on the breast (go figure!). Oh, by the way, I did pump about an hr before feeding her with my Medela Harmony (got about 3.5oz), so we will see what this next movement looks like.

does the poop color make a difference? yellow vs. yellow-green? sorry if this is a dumb question....

As they get older, their suction gets stronger. They can get more milk out in less time. So I wouldn't really worry about how long you lo is nursing. Just watch the diaper output, as well as her mood, weight gain, etc.

I worried about Riley's poop color all the time when he was this little. He went from yellow, to yellow/orange, yellow/green, etc. I finally decided to stop worrying about it. As long as it's not super runny or little bitty balls, I tried not to be concerned. I always think of my little neice who's constipated all the time. It really helps me to appreciate that he's pooping at all!

Who ever thought that in this stage of my life I'd be so concerned about what color poop is!

I BF'd my daughter for 10 months and I think I worried about everything...until things really got going. One thing I never thought (or knew about) was to worry about poop color? I have never heard of that until now

Yes the green poop means there is a fore/hind imbalance.

But my dd had those green looking ones everyonce in a while and was fine. Can you check her weight to make sure she is gaining good? That is a sure way to know. Most docs let you run them in to weigh for peace of mind.