Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: blister - ouch!

Default blister - ouch!

I had a blister on my nipple and now it has burst. It is now to painful for me to nurse my 5 month old on that side.

First of all, any suggestions on how to get this to heal quickly? It hurts constantly even when nothing is touching it. I put lanolin on it and that helps with the pain a little.

Second, how should I handle nursing without messing with my supply? I was thinking about nursing him on the other side all day and pumping the sore side (it doesn't hurt as badly to pump). I usually only nurse him on one side per feeding so I don't know if that's a good idea or not. Also, the affected side is my "lower producing" side as well.

The blister appeared about a week ago and I've been just dealing with the pain but it is too much now.

Thanks for your help.

Default Re: blister - ouch!

Take some ibprofen. It will help with the pain and does not affect the milk. I would continue to nurse on both sides if you can stand it after the medicine. Keep the lanolin on it also, to help with the pain.
    Nancy
    Mom to Elijah & Audrey 9/19/06
    Twin GERDlings

for 21 mo

Okay so did this look like a real type of blister? The reason I'm asking is b/c I was just getting on here to find out what is wrong with my nipple and why I'm having so much pain. UGH. I think my son may have biten me and now it turned into a little blister. It hurts SO much right now that I can barely handle nursing. It's my larger producting side also so he doesn't get enough from just the one side so I HAVE to nurse him on the hurt side also. I can see that there is a little cut from where his teeth left the marks. Anyways sorry to butt in on your post but I'm hurting so bad also and I don't know what to do. I'm going to go and take Ibprofin right now and dig out my lanolin cream. I know I have it somewhere! Any other advice would be great though.

yes it looked like a real blister, but then burst and looked like an open sore (gross, i know!)

i couldn't stand nursing on that side so i put lanolin on it and have been pumping it pretty frequently to keep the supply up. it feels and looks quite a bit better.

Well I'm glad you are feeling better b/c mine is so much worse and hurts so bad. UGH. I'm trying to hold out until Monday so I can go and see the LC on base here.

Have you tried Soothies? They are gel pad that you can get at CVS. I don't know if any other stores carry them. They work fanstastically for cracked nipples. They feel great when you put them on. You can even put them in the fridge or freezer for added cooling relief. They will help you heal very fast and you can keep using one pair until they become saturated.

I have one that had been very painful in the past and now it"s starting to be sore again. I suggest you keep nursing on that side but put some hot compresses before each feeding. That will warm up your breast and it won't be as painful. I'm sorry you are in such a pain, I've been there and it's very painful!

Good luck!

Lasbi