Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Few Questions for Double Electric Pump Users

Default Re: A Few Questions for Double Electric Pump Users

1) i also have the medela pump in style which for me was just the basic upgrade from the more simple medela double pump which i used with my last lo.
    2) i pump three times a day when i am working (MWF) for anywhere from 15 to 30 minutes a session depending on how fast i let down.
    3)i get anywhere from 1-3 oz in my left and anywhere from 3-5 oz in my right depending on how many times i let down
    4)it is not enough right now to satisfy lo and i am eating t hrough my freezer stash. i have added an extra pumping session each morning to increase stash.
    5)(i think this is 5) i do like this pump. no complaints and it comes with it's own little carry case and also a bag to keep milk cold. it is quiet too.
    6) i would recommend extra little p arts like the valves and the little flap things (technical term???) because the tiniest wear and tear can throw the whole thing to the wolves.
    good luck

1) What pump do you use and what made you choose this pump?
    I use the Medela Symphony. I also own a PIS.

2) How often do you pump each day and for how long?
    I used to pump 8 times a day about 20 mins- now i am down to 4-6 times a day 20 mins

3) What is your average milk output per breast after pumping and how many oz are pumped per day?
    I pump 4-5 oz a time if i take reglan.

4) Is this amt enough to satisfy LO or do you supplement a little as well?
    I have to fortify my milk so baby does get formula with my milk

5) Are you satisfied with your pump and overall pumping experience or would you prefer another pump?
    I am satisfied with the symphony. i am not overall satisfied with my experience my baby was 2 months early and has not been able to breastfeed because he loses weight when my milk is not fortified. it has been frustrating. i have been pumping almost 7 months now and honestly it is getting tiring- i have two babies under 2... but i really want my son to have my milk so it is of course worth it. i feel like all i do is pump and it the pump is my constant companion. even when i go to birthday parties, church, everywhere, my pump comes with me. i really wish my son could have nursed. if you would have asked me a couple months ago i would have been more satisfied with pumping. i am glad i can do it but i will also be glad when i am done.

6) If someone was to buy your pump, what extra accessories would you recommend they purchase as well (i.e. tubing, valves, membranes, shields, etc.) i would like to have extra shields so i don't have to wash mine 6 times a day, well, extra everything so i wouldn't always have to wash all the stuff!

I use the Ameda Purely Yours pump that comes in a carrying tote. I chose this one because the lc at our breastfeeding class said this one was just as good as the Medela pump and cheaper.

Right now I pump every morning after my dd eats, but when I return to work in a week, I will be pumping at least three times a day. I usually pump for about 15-20 minutes, but no more than 20 minutes.

3) What is your average milk output per breast after pumping and how many oz are pumped per day?
    I can usually get about 4 oz. per breast when I pump and right now that's all I get because I only pump once. I have heard that you have more milk in the morning and will not gets as much when you pump later in the day.

My dd is 12 weeks old and she usually eats about 3-3.5 oz. when she is given a bottle. Sometimes she will eat all 4 oz., but rarely.

5) Are you satisfied with your pump and overall pumping experience or would you prefer another pump?
    I love my pump and the tote it came with is great!

6) If someone was to buy your pump, what extra accessories would you recommend they purchase as well (i.e. tubing, valves, membranes, shields, etc.)
    If you're planning on pumping at work, someone told me to make sure you buy enough shields and membranes for each time you pump so you don't have to clean them off each time. Then you can just take home the dirty parts at the end of each day and clean them at home. You don't really need too many tubes and membranes because you don't have to change them as often unless milk gets on them which doesn't happen often.

Hope this helps!

1. Medela Lactina
    2. Pump in the morning when I wake up and after lunch at work and sometimes whe i get home (just on one side). For no more than 20 minutes.
    3. In the morning I get between 4-5 oz from each side, the rest of the time I get 3-4oz from each side.
    4. It is usually the perfect amount for us, sometimes a little goes to waste.
    5. This pump has been expensive to rent. When DS was born, i didn't have the time or money to buy one. Then I just never thought about it until one day I relized that I've been renting this pump at $40.00 for over a year. But at this point, I'm not going to go buy another one...And I'm not sure I would trust another one. Next time, though, I'm buying one.
    6. Having 2 sets of flanges/valves/membranes would be nice. I don't know what other accessories are out there, can't imagine needing them.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a PISA at home, and when I returned to work, I found out that they have a Lactina that I can use. I had planned to use the PISA at work, but since I have access to the Lactina, I use that. Less stuff to cart around.

I pump twice a day for 10-15 minutes. Normally my daughter nurses only on one side for 10-20 minutes.

Its changing since she started sleeping through the night. My morning pumping, I get 5-6 from one side and 2-4 from the other. My afternoon, I get closer to 2-4 from each side. Total, I average 12-16 ounces.

Its been enough. I give her three four ounce bottles. Sometimes she doesn't finish them all. Since she started sleeping through the night, if my supply stays up, I'm planning on giving her more. If I have extra, I freeze it.

Yes, I'm satisfied, with both. Having the Lactina was a bonus, but my PISA would have been fine.

6) If someone was to buy your pump, what extra accessories would you recommend they purchase as well (i.e. tubing, valves, membranes, shields, etc.)

I keep an extra set of horns/valves, membranes, tubing, etc. I got one with my hospital rental right after she was born, and I use those. I keep one set at work, wash it after each use, and take it home on the weekend for a hot dishwasher clean. Had I not had access to the Lactina, I was going to leave my PISA at work with a set of equipment, and buy a manual single pump for home.

Almost forgot. I bought extra bottles. With what I pump, the Medela ones are too small. I had to buy the larger Gerber ones (really basic cloudy plastic ones), or I would be getting milk all up in the pump.
    Last edited by greenveggie; August 13th, 2007 at 10:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweet C View Post

PISA--I have twins and I didn't want to risk using a lesser pump.

Started out with 2x a day when los would eat 3x, pumped for 15min then 10min. Later had to switch to 3x a day for 20min. If I pump more than 20min my nipples get sore.

I get the most in the morning, about 6-9oz per breast at first pumping, then 4-6oz for next two pumpings. But I'm nursing twins so you might want to divide that in half.

Usually it's enough, if not then I pump again after they go to bed or sneak a couple oz off the top before I nurse in the am. I have never had to supplement, I just add in extra pumping sessions if I come up short, that way my milk supply stays where it needs to be too.

I LOVE my PISA, I picked another one up second-hand (once you see how they work you realize you don't need to buy a new one). The two-phase cycling is awesome.

If you're doing this a lot, I would recommend getting an extra set of everything but the tubing, one for home and one for work, that way tou never leave it at home. I also have an extra cooler bag b/c I got another pump. Don't buy the expensive bottles, you can make do with the cheap gerber bottles if you buy the evenflow bits that fill the hole in the ring. I rinse my parts out with hot water after each pumping sessions then steam sterilize in the medela quickclean bag (which is reusable so don't be discouraged by the price). I have used the vehical power adapter on rare occasions, same with the battery pack. The accessory I just bought that I really like is a made by moms pumping band, much better than the dinky little hands-free kit medela makes, and you don't have to disrobe like with the easy expression halter. Don't get the medela freezer bags, the ones you can pump into sound like a good idea but they're a pain. The lansinoh storage bags are the best, but I wound up buying slimlines breastmilk storage set, which freezes it in 1oz aliquots that will fit through the opening of any bottle. You can freeze then put in a regular freezer bag.

1. Medela PISA... i pump 3 times a day at work, and the PISA is simply God's gift to us fulltime working-nursing mums! No stress about letdown at all! And it saves time...

2. 3 times a day: 10am, 1pm, 4pm. Excluding set-up and tear-down time, each pumping session takes about 10 minutes on a good day, and 15 minutes on a bad one.

3. This is where i get confused. We do metric here and it seems like the Medela bottles (which i pump into) and the Avent bottles (which i feed from) don't correspond in their metric measurements. But going by the Medela, i normally get about 75ml or thereabouts from each breast, and at the end i have about 150ml, or 5oz. So times 3 pumping sessions, make that about 14/15 oz in total.

4. It's been enough, and i usually have a bit left to freeze as well. And then there are the days when he refuses the bottle after a while and waits for me to get home where he proceeds to feast all evening and all night...

5. Very satisfied... it's expensive, but i recommend it to every working pregnant lady i know! And i tell them it's worth it!

6. Nipple cream. And a reliable hands-free kit would be nice...

Smile Re: A Few Questions for Double Electric Pump Users

i have the pisa...i found it through a hospital equip. site pretty cheap...$230, came with a cute bag, and tons of stuff

about 6 times a day, and for about 20 min

it varies, but i have some other issues that are currently contributing to this, so only about 4 ounces a day, but it has greatly increased since i have been using the pisa

no, she gets supplimented by donor breast milk through the hospital, and it's greatly appreciated, i can't thank the mother's who choose to share their wealth, and give us this great gift every day

i love it. i also have used the symphony, and i actually like this one better, it seems to have more suction, and is alot more portable, and convient, i have 1 pump, and 3 set-ups, 1 at the hospital, 1 in my travel bag, and 1 for home

def. at least 1 extra set-up. the hospital my daughter is at actually gives them, and it's so nice to not have to worry about forgetting, loosing, or anything like that