Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Few Questions for Double Electric Pump Users

Default A Few Questions for Double Electric Pump Users

1) What pump do you use and what made you choose this pump?

2) How often do you pump each day and for how long?

3) What is your average milk output per breast after pumping and how many oz are pumped per day?

4) Is this amt enough to satisfy LO or do you supplement a little as well?

5) Are you satisfied with your pump and overall pumping experience or would you prefer another pump?

6) If someone was to buy your pump, what extra accessories would you recommend they purchase as well (i.e. tubing, valves, membranes, shields, etc.)

Default Re: A Few Questions for Double Electric Pump Users

Quote Originally Posted by Sweet C View Post

3) What is your average milk output per breast after pumping and how many oz are pumped per day?

5) Are you satisfied with your pump and overall pumping experience or would you prefer another pump?

6) If someone was to buy your pump, what extra accessories would you recommend they purchase as well (i.e. tubing, valves, membranes, shields, etc.)
    (1) Ameda Purely Yours. I chose it because it was the one that WIC paid for back when I had DS. However, it is a pretty highly regarded pump generally and slightly cheaper than the Medela PIS.
    (2 and 3) I don't pump anymore (my DD is almos 2) but when she was EBF I pumped about 3 times each day, about every 2-3 hours, for about 10-15 minutes. At my peak I was pumping about 24 ounces per day (enough for 3 8 ounce bottles).
    (4) This was enough for my LO and I never supplemented. However, sometimes I was going day-to-day if I didn't find the time to fit in all my pumping sessions. Also my DD was a night nurser.
    (5) I am satisfied with my pump. I also have an Avent Isis manual pump that I like really well too. I've been wanting to try the Avent electric but it doesn't have the reputation of Ameda and Medela.
    (6) The nice thing about the Ameda pump is that it is a closed system so the motor part can be reused by another person without risk of contamination. Ameda sells a "hygieniekit" for about $50 with all the tubing, breast shields, etc. One would need something extra to store the milk in, like storage bottles or bags, and maybe something to store the containers of pumped milk in, like a cooler with cold packs.

HTH

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

What pump do you use and what made you choose this pump? Almeda Purley yours, I went by the reviews at Target.com (it is the lansinoh there but same thing) and price

2) How often do you pump each day and for how long? With a 7 mo I pump 5x daily (not sat or sun only once those days) for 15 min, but at first is took more time (like 25 min)

3) What is your average milk output per breast after pumping and how many oz are pumped per day? In the beginning I would get about 2 oz each side (after I got used to it) It took me two weeks to get it to work for me. It does take practice. Now I get about 1.5 -2 per side

4) Is this amt enough to satisfy LO or do you supplement a little as well?I have not had to supplement.

5) Are you satisfied with your pump and overall pumping experience or would you prefer another pump? I like my pump

6) If someone was to buy your pump, what extra accessories would you recommend they purchase as well (i.e. tubing, valves, membranes, shields, etc.) I would get extra bottles and I had to get the bigger shields. Also, the little white pieces (I guess the valves) are delicate I would get 2 extra. and I like having 4 shields. that way I donthave to clean ALL the time.
    Danielle

Mom to Gage 12/28/06

Wife to Trinity 6/21/03 my best friend

ed for year, finally done!!!!
    for more than a year now!

On a side note, I use Lansinoh bags to freeze/store my milk
    Danielle

Mom to Gage 12/28/06

Wife to Trinity 6/21/03 my best friend

ed for year, finally done!!!!
    for more than a year now!

medela pump in style, the hosp I work at uses medela electic pumps and I got the accessories for free

I used to pump quite a bit more, but now only pump when I go to work (at night) 1 time during an 8 hour shift for 15-30 minutes

I get anything from 4 to 8 oz in about 15 minutes (depends on how much Mason nursed before I left)

He does not take a bottle, only wants to eat at moms and I now have to decide if I want to pump more so that I can get enough to donate otherwise it is just going to go to waste

I love this pump, have not tried anyother.

I would say get an extra accessories kit, it's come in handy. I keep one set in the bag, the other clean and ready to switch out.

) What pump do you use and what made you choose this pump?

medela pump in style - I chose it based on the hospitals recommendation. While I was in the hospital and DD was in NICU they provided a medela pump for me to use.

I pump every three hours from 6AM until 9PM and then once around 2-3AM

My left breast produces anywhere from 3-6oz. and my right produces 2-3oz

I supplement sometimes with an extra oz. of formula - but 95% of DD diet is EBM

I am very satisfied with the pump.

Make sure you have the right sized flanges. I started with flanges that were way too small and developed wounds on my nipples. Purchase extra flanges and other parts so that one can be used and one can be washed.

1. Ameda purely yours. Its a good pump, and cheaper than the pump in style.
    2. I pump three times while I am at work for 20 minutes each time.
    3. Combined I usually get around four ounces. The output seems to differ each time.
    4. This is enough to satisfy her. Although sometimes I don't get enough and have to pump at night as well. My daughter is almost 7 months old, she has been taking 4 ounce bottles since she was 2 months old. Now she eats solids too. She hasn't had formula, but sometimes I'm afraid we may have to.
    5. I am satisfied with the pump. It could probably be a little quieter.
    6. I would say the bag is nice because it has a little cooler thing in the bottom, also the car adapter is nice to have. Its also nice to have new valves, because I think they wear out after a while.

your LO shares my birthday

I have the Ameda Purley Yours, Good reviews, Good price, hygieniekit

I try to pump as often as he normally nurses, so when he was an every two hour baby, i pumped every two hours i was away
    i pump from 10-20 minutes, i have a VERY fast let-down though, many mom's pump longer

left side always yields more, everytime i pump it's always different. on average 2-4oz per session. if i know i'm sending 3 - 4oz bottles the next day, i try to pump enough for that.

I've never had to supplement with anything other than my own freezer stash. There are high's and low's to pumping, sometimes i pumped too much, sometimes i didnt pump enough.

I like my pump as much as one could i guess I much prefer nursing. I would recommend my pump though!

an extra set of replaceable parts, extra collection bottles, i do without the extra set of "martini glasses" but that would be nice to have

Medella PIS Advanced b/c other people recommended it.

I work 12 hours shifts and I pump 3-4 times a day for 15-30 min. (only when I'm at work) or if I miss a feeding

I average 2-5 oz per breast it varies day to day

My lo is 2 months old and I pump enough right now to satisfy him and add to my freezer stash. I haven't had to supplement w/formula and I hope I don't have to

I like my pump

I would recommend extra membranes, shields, and valves

Quote Originally Posted by Sweet C View Post

1) I use the Medela Pump in Style because it was recommended to me by a friend.
    2) I pump every three hours until 11 pm and then once around 3 am then start back with the every three hour and I pump about 10 minutes per session.
    3) I only pump about 2 oz out of one and 1/2 of an ounce out of the other, but I had a awful case of mastitis early on and it decreased my supply. It never came back up.
    4) No, I don't pump enough for my lo. I have tried herbs, reglan, and oatmeal and can't increase my supply. I supplement with formula as needed.
    5) I like the PIS, but I am currently renting a hospital grade Medela Symphony to see if there is a difference. For the money the PIS is a better deal, but the Symphony is quieter and more comfortable. It costs 60/month though.
    6) It would be nice to have an extra set of pump accessories, but I haven't bought them myself. I did have to order smaller shields due to small breasts.