Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is baby getting enough water or too much?

Default Is baby getting enough water or too much?

Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum.

I'd like some advice or opinions on giving water to my baby, who is 15 months. Since the weather warmed up here in London, England, I have been offering him water after meals so he is not feeding (nursing) from me all day. But I don't want to damage my milk supply or get engorged by reducing his thirst for milk completely. He would drink unlimited amounts of water if allowed, but I feel I should limit it. Is this cruel? It is really difficult to gauge how much to give him. My milk supply is all over the place and fragile at the best of times. Any thoughts?

Default Re: Is baby getting enough water or too much?

I can remember when water in a sippy cup was my son's latest craze -- I'm quite sure he would drink it just for the fun of it -- not because he was really thirsty.

Rather than limiting his water, though, I think I would first focus on encouraging the breastfeeding, if you want to avoid weaning yet. It is probably still a good idea to nurse before you offer solids, if you have concerns about your milk supply during the day.

On the other hand, if you are happy with nursing only at bedtime or during the night, it's okay to do that. Once your body adjusts, there will still be milk for those feedings, even if he goes all day without nursing otherwise.

As always, you will want to keep an eye on his diapers, to make sure he is staying hydrated.

--Rebecca

Thanks so much for your helpful reply. I will try to make sure he is offered a feed before meals, even though I find there is often a gap between baby feeding and family eating while I get the meal on the table. I think I just panicked when it was obvious he was taking less milk over a 24-hour period. As long as he has milk as his drink between meals and at night, then I suppose there'll always be something there. I've heard that the same level of antibodies are still present even when the body produces less milk. Is that true? I know he's had enough when he starts pouring the water over his head. Maybe it's ok to take the cup away at that point. Thanks again.

This is something I've also struggled with in the past few months. Lily is 13m old, just about. When she hit 7 or 8m or so, she realy got into the sippy and was drinking about three 5oz cups of water per day. I was just leaving out a cup of water all day, refilling it when she drank it all (at my ex-ped's advice). Her nursings dropped to only 3 or 4x per day. She was also SOAKING her diapers, especially at night (when she was nutritionally making up for the sessions she was dropping during the day).

I realized she was drinking a ton of water (too much, IMO), so I've been conscious about her intake since then. Now, I only offer a sippy cup with meals or when we're out and about and we either can't nurse (because she's in a carseat & I'm driving) or if she's just too distracted (at the park or the grocery store, etc). I'll give her a 5oz cup of water with every meal, but she'll only drink 2 or 3oz at most. When the meal is over, I remove the cup. If I had to guess, she gets about 5-8 or so ounces of water per day (i.e. 24hr period), give or take.

Once I took the "bottomless" sippy away, she was back to nursing every 2-3hrs or so. Now that she's older, she's down to about every 3-4hrs, but she takes fuller feeds each time (i.e. less snacking), although we do still have the occassional additional drive-bys.

I hope that helps. Follow your gut and hopefully it will lead to you the best situation for you and your child.

Thanks very much for your advice. I really appreciate it.