Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any other babies like mine?

Default Re: Any other babies like mine?

Try reading the following re high-need babies...sounds like you have one...yes, like mine...you are not alone!

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/5/T050100.asp

My dd is 5 months old and fits Dr. Sears High needs baby who hates to cuddle perfectly (he says those are the most difficult babies of all). She refuses to be rocked, snuggled or hugged. When she is tired she pushes me away and screams at the top of her lungs. I cannot get her to sleep at night without a 2-3 hour battle. And when she is hungry she nurses to eat and never for comfort. I don't have any advice for you except to know that you are not alone. There have been times when I have felt to ripped off--everyone else has these babies that are so easy to care for and that go to sleep easily, and here we are, my dh and I having to take turns at night so one of us doesn't come unglued. I don't know what I would do if he weren't such a great dad b/c sometimes I just don't have the patience. Usually I end up taking her for a walk in the stroller or in the front pack for an hour and she will eventually fall asleep. It is totally draining. I don't have Dr. Sears fussy baby book but I do have one of his books and there is a chapter in there about fussy/high need babies and it is very comforting. I would def. recommend it. I wish you luck and would love to visit more with you--I need the comfort too.

I also wanted to add that I have a friend who I was telling my story to and she had the audacity to say, "I know what you mean about it being difficult to get babies to sleep. I have to rock my baby to sleep every time." I was like...you have no idea!!!
    Last edited by @llli*moose; May 15th, 2006 at 09:01 AM.

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Thank you everyone - All of your responses have been encouraging and extraordinarily helpful! I love these message boards, what a wonderful place.

Quote Originally Posted by LizzyDarcy
    Alissa What specific parts of the Fussy Baby book have been helpful? Are there good tips for getting clingy babies to sleep (and stay asleep)? Thinking of buying it but I don't want a rehash of things I've already read in No Cry Sleep Solution (which hasn't worked for us)
    It's not a rehash of NCSS, which didn't work great for us either. There's more in there than just sleep solutions. It's sort of an overview of living with a baby who is superdemanding and labeled as a "bad baby" by the world and ways you can help your baby feel more comfortable, which may help with the fussiness and sleep issues. If you want to take a peek at it, I saw it at a couple local bookstores a few months ago, see if you can find a used one, or see if your local LLL has it.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

dd#2 is 22 lbs and almost 8 months old. She is tall - so it doesn;t look like a lot - but man iss she heacy and people always guess she is older and then say "oh my" when I tell them how old she is.

Here is a funny to break up my post: One lady was rude and said "Oh my she is quite a fatty." I told her at least she and my baby had something in common."

Anyway - her ped says she is fine - better than fine - she is great. So I have a big baby - oh well

As for the fussy - dd#1 was like that too - and I just worked with her, not against her. I wore her in a sling - and then worked with getting her involved with toys and such in her play yard or high chair or whatever. I sang to her while I was doing other things - I did it all. With dd#2 - she is very social and i swear she just gets bored when we leave her to go do something

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffs_hope
    Here is a funny to break up my post: One lady was rude and said "Oh my she is quite a fatty." I told her at least she and my baby had something in common."
    That was mean, but very funny!! Nobody told her to stick her nose first!

Quote Originally Posted by Mami_Kathy
    That was mean, but very funny!! Nobody told her to stick her nose first!

lol

You know, my theory is that when someone has the nerve to come to me and make comments about me, my children or my parenting choices - then they deserve to have my sincere responce