Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help please! Baby failing to gain sufficient weight.

Default Help please! Baby failing to gain sufficient weight.

Hi

I'm very new to this site, I'm looking for some advice/support.

I've ben happily fully breast feeding my 14 week old daughter, and am really enjoying it.

Hannah is a very happy, contented baby who only ever cries when she needs fed!

She was 3.28kg (7lb 3oz) at birth and now weighs 4.87 kg (10lb 11.75 oz). My health visitor is concerned Hannah is not putting on enough weight and has advised me to "top up" her feeds ideally with expressed breast milk or SMa Gold Cap.

I am very confused! Hannah is not looking for anymore food. She hates taking a bottle of expressed milk, it's a battle when I am not around. I really don't think she will accept a bottle after a feed and do not really want to offer formula.

I am woried about her failure to gain sufficient weight but apart from that she is a very good, contented baby sleeping between 9 and 10 hours each night.

Can anyone help me please??

Joy

Default Re: Help please! Baby failing to gain sufficient weight.

maybe just feeding more often during the day will help if she is sleeping alot at night.
    some babies need to nurse up to 12 times in 24 hours to get weight gain.
    heres a link from kelly moms....

http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns..._increase.html

Thanks I shall have a good read of this. I'll try to feed more during the day but if she is not looking for more will she take more milk?

Your baby has gained an average of 4 ounces per week. Here's some info on weight gain (notice the note for 0-4 mos):
    http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns...ight-gain.html

You could try offering more during the day, but if she won't take it, no worries. As long as she is having plenty of wet and poopy diapers, she is content, growing in length and head circumference, and meeting her milestones, you can rest assured that she is getting enough. Remember that weight is only ONE measure of baby's well being. It's best to look at the whole picture.

HTH!

Hello there! Well I don't think the baby is having a bad weight gain... My DS was 6lbs 3 oz when he was born and now at 14 weeks he's probably a little over 11 lbs. So we aren't too far off except for the birth weight and mine has gained abit more then yours. At his 1 month check up the doctor tried to tell me to supplement after I breastfed him with formula, and I didn't even do it cause he had gained 2 lbs in that month. And he was having the right amount of dirty and wet diapers. I mean one month he gained 2 inches in length and it's usually 1 inch!

So I don't think you need to supplement especially if he is not looking for anymore food and not hungry. If he's happy and content then I say he's not hungry.

Good luck!

(P.S. If it sounds scattered, sorry didn't get too much sleep last night.)

I wouldn't worry too much.

My son was 7lb 2oz at birth, 10lb 7oz at 11wks and 11lb 5oz at 16 wks.

He did have a nursing strike since then and porr weight gain for about 2 wks- that was a big concern. But because my son is growing steadily, developing at a normal rate and is happy and content, there is no concern at his general rate of growth.

Thanks to everyone for your advice it has really helped put my mind at rest and I'm going to keep on as I am doing and stop worrying so much!

XXXX
    Last edited by Beardette; August 10th, 2007 at 11:10 AM.