Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Too soon to start cereal???

Default Too soon to start cereal???

My two and a half month old DD is starting to act as if she's not getting enough to eat after nursing. She eats every 1.5-2 hrs and screams after she's done. I let her nurse on both sides until she takes herself off, which is usually about 12 mins per side. My three older sons were started on cereal at six weeks old because of the same thing. I'm just afraid, with her reflux, it may cause problems. Anyone have any suggestions or input??? I would be greatful for any at this point.

Default Re: Too soon to start cereal???

All of the literature supports waiting until babies are 6 months old to start solids. Is she screaming from her reflux or because she is hungry? I would do some investigating before I introduce cereal as there may be a reason for her outbursts that might be worth trying to discover.

I agree with pp. I'm sure you've tried putting her back on the breast after she pulles off so if she was hungry she would continue to nurse. It's probably something else entirely.

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

I believe it is because she is hungry. I do put her back on and she shakes her head as if she's going to rip my breast off. I know it's because the flow isn't as strong as she'd like, but what can I do? I put her back on repeatedly and she finally gives up and falls asleep. Then she'll wake up all of a sudden and start screaming and rooting. I give her the pacifier and she spits it out after a few and screams and roots. I put it back in and she spits it out again. I know they say pacis are bad, but she wants to suck constantly...I do use the one made for BF babies though. It's made by Gerber.

Quote Originally Posted by Mexinerd View Post
    I believe it is because she is hungry. I do put her back on and she shakes her head as if she's going to rip my breast off. I know it's because the flow isn't as strong as she'd like, but what can I do? I put her back on repeatedly and she finally gives up and falls asleep. Then she'll wake up all of a sudden and start screaming and rooting. I give her the pacifier and she spits it out after a few and screams and roots. I put it back in and she spits it out again. I know they say pacis are bad, but she wants to suck constantly...I do use the one made for BF babies though. It's made by Gerber.
    How does she act if you put her back on the breast after she rejects the paci and roots? Is she still fussy?

Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

Quote Originally Posted by Mexinerd View Post
    I believe it is because she is hungry. I do put her back on and she shakes her head as if she's going to rip my breast off. I know it's because the flow isn't as strong as she'd like, but what can I do?
    Breast compressions could really help if the issue is the flow has slowed down. The behavior you described could be your baby's way of initiating your letdown.

Could it be that she's a little early for her 3-month growth spurt? Or if she's getting any bottles, she could be frustrated at the rate of milk flow. If that's the case, you can avoid bottles for a little while so that baby can get more used to the breast again. Here is a page that you may find helpful for creating some let-down cues and helping a slow let-down.

Like the pp's have said, I wouldn't introduce cereal yet. Although you haven't had problems with it in your previous children, it is riskier and not recommended for baby's health - both now and long term.

HTH!

Hi

Yes I also think that she could be gearing up for her 3 month growth spurt.

Have you been giving her anything for her reflux?

My daughter suffered with reflux as well, and she was in severe pain with it, we used to keep her upright after feeding, elevate the head of her mattress and give her some natural medicines which eased the pain. She would always scream after feeding and I would then think she was still hungry before we figured out what was wrong.

I would suggest holding off on introducing solids for now.
    Last edited by LLL_Jolie; August 12th, 2007 at 10:21 PM. Reason: remove links

If I put her back on the breast,she shakes her head as if the flow isn't enough. BUT, this is after she has nursed on each side for around 12 mins. I actually have OAL because she will choke and gag in the beginning and pull off until it's not so heavy. The dr has said she has reflux due to the symptoms I described and is holding off on meds right now. We are holding off on meds because her older brother had reflux as well and was started on meds at two weeks old. At around five months old (from being on two different meds at the same time for horrible reflux) he develped explosive diarreha and had it for five more months. To make a long story short, they don't want my DD to develop diarreha like he did. I prop her up to sleep in a boppy pillow. I even burp her extra times to make sure all the air is out.
    I don't use a bottle. I exclusively BF. I only pump one time, on one side at night. My DD only eats on one side in the middle of the night, so I pump the other so I have some in the freezer just in case. She has had alot of gas, but she's had alot of gas since birth. She is the "fart queen". LOL
    It might be her three month growth spurt. She is growing really fast. She weighed 7lbs 8oz at birth. At 7 weeks old she weighed 11lbs 1oz. So, we will see what she weighs on Monday and I guess go from there.

You could also try only offering one breast for the entire feeding. I know she'll probably get frustrated by the slower flow towards the end but she would get more hindmilk that might keep her fuller longer. It might also help slow down your initial letdown so she doesn't choke. We had issues with OALD and oncw we started block feeding for a few weeks DS was a lot happier on the breast.