Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fast feeding sessions

Default Fast feeding sessions

Hi Ladies,

My daughter is 5 weeks old, and starting about a week ago she started to have very fast feeding sessions. I know she should nurse for 10-15 minutes on each breast but she is only nursing for 6-10 minutes at a time. She pulls of herself and when I offer her the same breast again she refuses, so I then offer her my other breast and she refuses that one as well. She was 9 pounds at birth and as of Wednesday she weighed 11 pounds 7 ounces so she is gaining weight. She seems healthy and not sick at all but I am concerned that she is not getting enough to eat now, but she still has a good amount of wet diapers... I'm wondering if anyone has dealt with this before? I try to feed her often but sometimes she does not want to eat again so soon after I fed her. I just don't understand why this is happening all of a sudden. If anyone can offer any insight that would be wonderful!!!

Default Re: Fast feeding sessions

As long as she is gaining well and is having enough wet and poop diapers it sounds normal! As babies get older they become more efficient at nursing...the same thing happened when my lo was around 6 weeks. He went from nursing for what seemed like hours to getting done in around 5 to 10 minutes. I remember thinking something had to be wrong as well, but he was totally fine.
    Loving mama to S - 11/06, and F - 1/09

Yes! I have a speed eater. Never ate more than 10 mins. total and always only takes one breast per feeding. After many months of worrying and counting diapers fanatically, I realized he was fine. Now he eats 3-4 mins. and is around 24lbs at 11 months. I know it is easy to say but try not to worry. As long as wets are fine and lo seems happy you should be fine.

If you feel LO is happy and healthy, go with it. Trust your motherly instincts!

Quote Originally Posted by Seb's mommy View Post
    As babies get older they become more efficient at nursing....
    My lo did the same thing.... and this what I was told....

Stay encouraged!
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

Thanks for the reassuring responses! It just seems so strange that all of a sudden she is content after 10 minutes when she used to stay on for over 20... but it does make sense that they become more efficient suckers. For now I will continue to monitor her wet and poopy diapers just to be sure.

Smile Re: Fast feeding sessions

My Lo was always a3 min nurser. He quadrupled his birthweight by a year. As long as you watch the number of diapers and total # of feedinds all will be fine. Enjoy your LO

Mama to DD Mariah 04/03 2lbs 8oz BF 2yrs 1 day!
    DS Ryan 07/06 4lbs 15 oz No solids until 18 mo's!
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" Gandhi

Smile Re: Fast feeding sessions

So glad that you posted this. I have a little guy who is 10 weeks old who is a speed eater too. It's sooo hard to believe that he is getting enough b/c my dd used to take 40minutes to eat when she was a newborn and didn't start cutting sessions shorter until she was about 8 months old! I was going to post the same post. Thanks!

Same here. My LO is eight weeks old and since the middle of her 2nd week, she can finish eating on both sides in about a total of 10-15 minutes. I actually wish I could slow her down since she has reflux and I think her speed eating contributes to the amount of spit-up she produces. I burp her after she finishes the first side but that's about all she has patience for.

Same thing happened with my baby. She went from eating 23-25 min to eating about 8-12 min, and she only takes one breast per feeding. After frantically worrying that something was wrong, I just enjoyed it and let her be. Weight gain is good and sufficient diaper output, so I am not going to complain on her timing.