Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can u watch me bf? utube

Default Can u watch me bf? utube

This is the deepest latch I can manage...She is not swallowing as u can see and hear,,,what am i doing wrong??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=banASnuo_ZM

There are 2 clips.

Default Re: Can u watch me bf? utube

To me it looks good. In the second clip I could see her swallowing. Is it just me?

Misty
    Loving my two sweet girls Audrey (7/18/06) and Annie (6/18/09) Baby #3 due to appear 8/5/10

Feel free to ask me about my successful HBAC , food allergies, cloth diapers, and the joy of having a high-needs, non-sleeping little dear who has grown into a wonderful preschooler.

Blogging here.

I had the same problem when I started out my nursing relationship with Peter. Your clip bought back so many memories of nursing a newborn! to you for posting this clip and seeking advice!

First of all, when your LO delatched from your nipple, her tongue was doing the right thing....the motion she was making is how she massages your nipple to express milk.

Secondly, it looked in the video like the was sucking and swallowing, but I know that Peter did this too initially, and he was just sucking, but not getting anything down. What helped me with this issue was to make my breast into a 'sandwich'. Using the opposite hand to the side you are feeding on, cup your hand into a C shape, and hold your breast like that. This helps your breast to comform to the natural shape of babies mouth. Once you are holding your breast in the c shape, bring baby to your breast pushing your breast in as far as you can. You may need to help position her.

Let me know how you go, and I can try and take a video later today of what I mean if you are still having trouble.

Hang in there! You're doing great!

is her bottom lip curled under? I know that it sometimes prevents proper nursing. I used to look at my DD throat to see if she was swallowing... I agree she looked like she was swallowing in the second clip. I didn't hear my little one gulp too much until a few days after my milk came it and she was better at nursing. Do you have any BF clincs in your area. I know that in ONTARIO Canada there are a bunch that you can go to and a lactation consultant will sit with you while you feed and let you know if the baby is nursing. They also weight the baby before and after you feed so you can actually measure how much the baby is drinking. Or do you have a friend that has nursed and can come over and help. I found the hands on help really made it easier.

Good luck!
    Kim

Claire 08/27/06 7lbs 11 onces 21 in.
    Addison (Addi) 10/17/08 8lbs 11 ounces 21 in.

Quote Originally Posted by Rochelleann View Post
    I had the same problem when I started out my nursing relationship with Peter. Your clip bought back so many memories of nursing a newborn! to you for posting this clip and seeking advice!

First of all, when your LO delatched from your nipple, her tongue was doing the right thing....the motion she was making is how she massages your nipple to express milk.

Secondly, it looked in the video like the was sucking and swallowing, but I know that Peter did this too initially, and he was just sucking, but not getting anything down. What helped me with this issue was to make my breast into a 'sandwich'. Using the opposite hand to the side you are feeding on, cup your hand into a C shape, and hold your breast like that. This helps your breast to comform to the natural shape of babies mouth. Once you are holding your breast in the c shape, bring baby to your breast pushing your breast in as far as you can. You may need to help position her.

Let me know how you go, and I can try and take a video later today of what I mean if you are still having trouble.

Hang in there! You're doing great!
    And that video brought tears to my eyes. The early days were so precious!

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

If you can watch this video (it shows how to do the "c" or "u" hold that the pp mentioned).

To sum it up:
    -the lips are fished out (top lip curled up, bottom lip curled down)
    -the bottom lip is close to the edge of the areola so that the jaw and tounge can massage the areola
    -cheeks are soft and relaxed
    -jaw movement seen near the ear
    -draw a line from her nose to her earlobe and the midpoint is where your nipple should be
    -chin to breast not her nose
    -hear swallowing
    -and IT SHOULD NOT BE PAINFUL, if it is de-latch and try again.

The clip looks good, it is a little hard to see from the angle though.

Quote Originally Posted by Claires Mama View Post
    is her bottom lip curled under? I know that it sometimes prevents proper nursing.
    this is what i thought i saw on the second clip.....
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

She looks good, esp in the second clip she is getting a good bit of milk. You can watch her ears move and you can see her swallowing. Good job momma!

Just saw the second clip (not sure why I didn't see it before), SHE LOOKS PERFECT! & YOU CAN HEAR HER SWALLOW GREAT JOB MAMA!!!!!

In addition to hearing her swallow in the second clip, you can see the break in the chin when she has a mouthful and swallows. Compare what your seeing to the clips on Dr. Newman's website.

http://www.breastfeedingonline.com/newman.shtml

Under latching there are 9 clips to view.

I think you are on the right track =) Don't forget to count wets...that helps too see how much your LO is getting at the breast.
    Leslie- Momma to Aiden 02/28/06 AND Owen 2/28/08...What timing

Older and wiser voices can always help you find the right path, if you are only willing to listen.--Jimmy Buffet