Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would you pump in the hospital?

Default Would you pump in the hospital?

Hello! First post here!

I had my first daughter 5 yrs ago. Breastfeeding was an awesome experience and I absolutely, fully intend to BF again. I am having a repeat c-section on Aug. 21st (less than 2 wks!). When I had my dd, the nurses had me on a pumping schedule at the hospital. Every 3 hrs for 15 minutes. My dd had pretty severe jaundice and I suppose this was an attempt to get my milk in faster. I also BF'd her in the hospital, in addition to that pumping schedule. i wound up with a HUGE over-supply of milk and it was very difficult to get under control. Major engorgement, leaking...I wanted to relieve the pressure by pumping but then I'd just produce more milk. The over-supply was so out of control that I had to rent the hospital pump for the first few weeks. It was hard to get my supply regulated but eventually it all worked out.

I exclusively BF'd. I am a SAHM and I had an Avent Isis pump that worked great for the very occasional time that I needed to pump a bottle.

Now, as I get ready for my 2nd baby, I am wondering if I should just stay away from the hospital breast pump? Should I just put the baby to my breast very often instead? I have read that frequency is more important than duration for breastfeeding in the early days. I just want to make sure that my supply is good. Would you use the hospital pump a few times a day or for 5 minutes after each feeding....or not at all? I *could* just bring my trusty Avent pump with me, but not sure if that is adequate in the early days or if I should just not use a pump at all during that time? It's $50 for the tubing kit at my hospital as well.

Can't wait to get some advice on this. Thank-you, ladies!

Default Re: Would you pump in the hospital?

Wow! Your baby's birth is getting really close!
    IMO you do not need to pump at all in the hospital. I think you are right on with your statement that putting baby to breast frequently is the perfect way to stimulate you milk to come in. Also, I *think* I remember reading that milk usually comes in earlier with subsequent babies. Mine was in within 2 days for sure with DD.
    It sounds like you have a personal history of producing more than enough milk, so you probably have nothing to worry about.
    I love my Avent Isis too! You could bring it along just in case rather than pay the extra money for the hospital tubing should some pumping become necessary.
    Good luck!

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

In my opinion - a pump isn't necessary under normal circumstances. Baby will ALWAYS do a better job of stimulating milk production than a pump will. My DS had jaundice and the hospital did NOT at all suggest formula. DS was on bili lights in a unit in my hospital room, and I was instructed to try to nurse him every 60 min. It was a very long sleepless stessful night, but with all that stimulation by baby my milk came in during the bili light night and DS was able to go home the next day. I bought a pump when DS was 4 weeks old, and that was just because I wanted to start pumping / introducing a bottle for when I was to go back to work when Ds was 12 weeks old.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Welcome! I would not pump, but rather get baby to breast on demand (at least every 2-3 hours). You can hand express a little before nursing to get things going, but as the pp your milk will come in sooner this time around. If it makes you feel better having your pump, by all means take it with you, but there really is no need to be pumping aggressively if baby is getting to breast well and having adequate wet and dirty diapers. HTH and Congrats!!!!!!

What they said! No sense in exhausting yourself even more by pumping in addition to nursing, if you don't have to! For the record, my milk came in 3-4 days postpartum with my first birth, and was in in less than 2 days with my second (before I left the hospital).

Thank-you so much already. The replies are helping me worry less about this already! It's hard when something is so engrained in you but when I look back, that pumping that I did with dd was awful. I am sure my body thought I was feeding triplets or something I would much rather rely on my body instead and bring my Avent along, just in case. It's fairly compact.

For those of you that had milk faster with your subsequent babies, did any of you have c-sections? I am curious if that will hold me back at all? thanks again

I did not have a c-section, so I can't say for sure. But I would think getting baby to breast as soon as possible after delivery should work just fine.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

I'm not advocating using the pump, but just wanted to add a few thoughts. I had a csection and my colostrum took a while to come in. I think that the csection sort of disrupted the natural order of things and it confused my body a little. My LO spent over 24hrs trying to get food, but nothing was there. After his blood sugar dropping and him him being so exhausted I couldn't wake him (he spent the next 24 hrs asleep and scared me half to death!). I got the pump and my husband spent 6 hrs trying to get him to take a bottle of formula! I know with the jaundice it's a different situation, but I personally plan to ask for a pump right away to try and bring my milk in faster if I have a csection again (I'm hoping for a VBAC, though!). For me, I think it will help. Your body is your body, though, and you should do what is right for you. I just know a few women who have had trouble getting their colostrum going because of a csection.

I hope this helps a little. If you breastfed successfully before I'm sure you'll do great this time around too!!!

Quote Originally Posted by momto2girls View Post
    For those of you that had milk faster with your subsequent babies, did any of you have c-sections? I am curious if that will hold me back at all? thanks again
    I have noticed that for the women who exclusively BF the milk comes in more quickly than with their first child regardless of vag or section delivery.

Were you able to put your baby to the breast during that time? I guess Im confused as to why exactly they had you on a pumping schedule like that? It almost certainly caused your major oversupply issues.

The short answer is: No, you don't need to pump in the hospital, provided that you can get baby to the breast early and often. Of course in cases where baby is in the NICU or not latching well, etc. then the pump has it's uses. But for a healthy, full-term baby who is latching well and eating regularly, pumping is not necessary. Even for a jaundiced baby, the colostrum should be enough--colostrum is good at producing bowel movements, which is what is needed to clear the jaundice.

Hugs & Good Luck!
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!