Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Can I vent for a moment?

Default Can I vent for a moment?

I'm currently breastfeeding my twin 8.5 month olds. So we're not talking teenagers here. And it's truly amazing to me how much pressure I'm getting to stop. These guys are tough to feed. They're snackers so it does require a huge investment of time. I'm one of those people who stays fat while BFing and loses weight when I stop. I'm not enjoying nursing them the way I did our older son. But I'm willing to do it. I'm stopping at a year which is only 3 months from now. But I can't tell you how many people have suggested I stop so that I "can get out more" or take a break. I have the next 40 years to take a break, it was really difficult for us to get pregnant and this is what's best for the boys. I just hate that everyone keeps telling me to stop "for my own good". Even those who were supportive early on. Grrr. I'm certainly not earth mother of the year. I'm a city chick BFing my twins for a year like the AAP (or whatever they're called) recommends. Jeez.

Phew. Got that off my chest. Thx.

Default Re: Can I vent for a moment?

BF twins=mother of the year in my book! That is amazing to me.

People just don't get it. They really don't. Even well meaning people (like mother in laws!) Why is it "everyone" wants to discuss a mother's breastfeeding realationship with her children and often feel sorry for us for having to breastfeed? My MIL is CONSTANTLY trying to get me to "leave her with a bottle" so I can "get out of the house." If I wanted her to be bottlefed, I'd bottle feed.

I understand your vent

I can't believe you're still nursing twins, not because I think you shouldn't, just because I can't imagine having the stamina to do so! Congratulations!

I can sympathize with hearing people telling you it's time to wean. And believe me, I'm the LAST person I'd ever have thought would have nursed at all, much less for a year (which I'll be at in just a couple of weeks). I still plan to start daytime weaning then, mainly because I work and can't STAND pumping. But nightime weaning is a distant goal, considering how much my little girl still needs it to get herself back to sleep.

Anyway, just wanted to say you're doing a great job! I can only imagine how exhausting it is to have twins; nursing them exclusively is amazing to me!!! I agree with the previous poster: Mother of the Year!

Talking Re: Can I vent for a moment?

FANTASTIC job nursing TWO babies!

I understand your frustrations! My MIL talks about weaning constantly. She is one that associates bottle-feeding with bonding, so unless anyone else can feed my son they can't bond. He is 8 months old, nurses only about 5 minutes a session and then is off to play...like she can't bond with the boy but those 5 minutes ?

Everyone keeps asking how long I plan on nursing this baby...and it is for as long as he wants to. I am planning on getting pregnant in the next year (either this September when DS turns 1 or next year this time, no more summer babies!) and I can't wait to get the sneers if I am still nursing and pregnant!

Sarah

Quote Originally Posted by Monk
    I just hate that everyone keeps telling me to stop "for my own good".
    You're doing a great job! Do they even know that BF also benefits the mother. I wish people will educate more about the subject before start offering advise, they'll save everyone a lot of headaches!

Quote Originally Posted by sblairc
    BF twins=mother of the year in my book! That is amazing to me.
    AMEN!!

Man, if I thought i had it rough at times, now I feel like a big baby!

People do the same to me with dd being 8 months old. I was frustrated and then I posted here. Some great moms advised me to form a generic reply that tells them all the organizations that reccomend bf through and beyond the first year - and your child's ped. I then ask them what credintials (sp?) they have to suggest I stop.

Another mom had a good point. People that are really neg about it are usually ones who tried bf and failed or those who never even considered it as an option.

Settle well knowing you are doing the right thing - and you are doing an AMAZING job with two!

You are doing so well, breastfeeding twins for more than eight months! I know a woman who used having twins as an excuse not even to try...

I can understand how annoying these comments must be to you. As if breastfeeding was the toughest part of mothering. They don't say, when will you stop doing the laundry and have a break? Hey, next time somebody offers to leave your babies to them with a bottle, you can ask them to do the ironing instead!

Quote Originally Posted by Virtuella
    Hey, next time somebody offers to leave your babies to them with a bottle, you can ask them to do the ironing instead!
    Oh, That's a GOOD one!

Ahhh. Just what I wanted to hear. I really appreciate your responses. And even though I thought I didn't need it, a little pat on the back for nursing two is pretty nice after all.

Oh and one more venting thing. EVen though I'm happy nursing my guys it is hard at times. And I'm a venter by nature. I really hate that I can't complain about the tough things without being told to stop. Of course I love nursing them but it's not all sunshine and roses al the time. So let me complain without telling me to stop!!

THANKS again.

I have to vent...if I don't I EXPLODE!

My current little nursling has food protein allergies, dairy, soy, eggs, nuts, wheat, fish...ugh. I was eating only turkey, rice and carrots for a few months, everything else seemed to upset his belly. I HATED it, but I would do it million times over again before quiting and giving formula. My husband told me many many times to just quit. Just because I complain sometimes doesn't mean I can't do it...

HUGE pats on the back for nursing two. In the NICU with my first born there was triplet boys next to us. Mommy was nursing, and I used to watch her sit in the chair switching one boy out for the other. All she did all day was nurse. We used to laugh because she could feed all three before I could feed my one! I find you multiple mommies incredible!

Sarah