Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: We need to get over this hump to make 1yr!

Default We need to get over this hump to make 1yr!

We are currently at 11mos. of nursing!
    DH keeps saying: isn't he too big for that!?

Well, part of the problem is LO attracting attention to himself while nursing by doing the following things: 1) playing around in a normal way 2) fussy nursing where he will struggle and wrestle about, standing up on his hind legs, pushing his bottom in the air while attached (!) and whining. He will nurse given any opportunity.

This ends in me feeding him solids or distracting him by playing with him or occasionally/rarely he settles down and nurses quietly.
    Now he's not getting enough to eat in the AM and the nursery wants breakfast sent with him. What's up???

Default Re: We need to get over this hump to make 1yr!

Sounds like my DS! What has been working so far is for me to nurse him in the MT and we have this game where he will pull/pinch my lower lip as he is falling asleep nursing. Not comfy for me but it gets him comfy enough to focus on nursing.

When you say he isn't getting enough in the morning is it because of the acrobatic nursing?

My 13 months old is a very active nurser..too! If I cover up in public she will pull it off and she tries to stand on my lap while she nurses... I have started giving her a littel toy or a soft animal to hold while she nurses and my nursing necklace to hold and this helps alot now. I think I have givin a peep show to a few unexpected people before....It is embarassing but I just smile and move on.. I try now to find quieter places to nurse if I have to that way she isn't wanting to go go go..It does pass and some days are better than others but it really isn't any fun expecially when they start pulling your nipple with them...hang in there and keep trying....
    Allie
    Wife to T
    Mother to 4 crazy ones

Oh, that is the other thing, I have to go and walk to an area that is quiet, so that he is not as distracted. If he hears a little kids voice, it's all over and he just wants to socialize.

oh I know that feeling mine peeks out and starts waving at people....LOL....
    Allie
    Wife to T
    Mother to 4 crazy ones

Yeah, my almost 14-month-old can do some silly positions too. He does like to squirm around and he sticks his butt up while attached too!!

If you he isn't focusing on nursing while in public, going somewhere quieter does really help as PP suggested.

At home I will let him be silly as long as it doesn't hurt me.
    Jenny
    Mama to Jacob , born 6/11/06
    And his NEW baby brother , born 8/14/08

, , , cloth diapering