Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: fussy feeder whats going on Help please!

Default fussy feeder whats going on Help please!

Hi All
    my son is 16 months now and love his breast milk hates bottles
    last week we went on holidays for a week and i noticed my son got a little fussy at feeding times he couldn't seem to nod off with the last evening feed.he even refused to feed one day. i was feeling a little pariniod as we were with my husbands parents and on one of the days i noticed a sheep with a young one he was prob near the year mark and he was having a feed i was laughing saying is he not a bit to old for that and she said well niamh some people might say that about you, i didnt take much notice of that at the time i just laughed it off.

this week he has a little cold and is even more fussy he latches on has a suck then sits up and keeps pointing at my breast this is usually a i want a feed sign from him i offer and he latches on again only to do the same thing i check to see if there is milk there is then he will want to keep swapping from one breast to the other and crying at me while he is doing it last night he got very upset my husband got a beaker of juice for him in the end he drank all of that and then fell asleep in his buggy
    I don't know if its the cold which he has never been like this before with a cold
    what could be going on has any body ever had the same happen to them any advice would be great
    mammy to 20/02/01 22/03/03 12/04/06 26/08/08
    wife to my lovely husband Paul

Default Re: fussy feeder whats going on Help please!

My son wouldn't nurse when his nose was all stuffed up or if he had Hand/foot/mouth (resulted in painful mouth ulcers). You may want to try some home remedies to clear up his nose if it's stuffy. I'm a big fan of running a humidifier with Eucylaptus oil in it-or Vicks makes a liquid to put in. Also steamy shower...etc.

He may also be off due to the holiday.

If this helps, my DS is 17mo and doens't always fall asleep nursing now. So I'll still rock him, tell him a very long and detailed boring story...etc or stay with him on the floor while he's in the crib until he falls asleep.

You may also want to try expressing milk so he can drink out of the cup so it doesn't affect your supply?

Good luck.

My son almost always refuses to nurse (or nurses much less) if we are away from home. I know it's annoying and makes life more difficult b/c what ususally works doesn't, but I wouldn't worry too much about it. If it's abrupt, it's almost always a strike. He is probably also in the weaning process, which is more of a dance that something that happens at a steady pace. (At least that's how I understand it.)

As for the cold, that's probably why he isn't nursing right now. He wants to nurse, but it's awfully hard when you can't breathe. DS can sometimes breathe enough to nurse when he has a cold, and sometimes he can't.

DS recently went on a 10 day strike, then got a cold that made nursing difficult. Now, he's back up to nursing like before the strike.

Hang in there...this too shall pass.

well i got my AF today so i have a feeling it has been a mixture of the cold being away and my supply must have been effected as well so hopefully we will be fine now thanks for the information

what are the signs of weaning with the lo
    mammy to 20/02/01 22/03/03 12/04/06 26/08/08
    wife to my lovely husband Paul

Here's some info on weaning. At the bottom of the link are a couple of good books on the subject. http://www.kellymom.com/bf/bfextende....html#selfwean