Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: how much should I give her?

Default how much should I give her?

okay, here's the problem. I need to leave DD to her grandmother for one feeding but I don't know I much I should prepare her. Since I don't want to waste the EBM I don,t want to prepare too much neither too less. She is 11 weeks old, 10 pounds and nurses usually 8 times a day. How are your babies taking at that age?
    DD1 for 9mo and DD2 for almost 12mo
    (using a Hotsling, ringsling, and Chimparoo but my favourite one is a Mei Tai)

Default Re: how much should I give her?

Mine takes 4-5 oz.

To get her to take 5 oz though we have to burp her in the middle. But she's been sleeping longer stretches, so we offer her more. If she eats just 4 she'll usually take the whole thing and then we burp her.
    Momma to K 05/24/07 (due 05/31/07)
    Momma to I, 06/04/10 VBAC'd (due 05/31/10). Read about it here

Exclusive Pumper to first for 18 months.
    I got my VBAC!

Struggling with nursing but one way or another breast milk is all they get.

Every baby is different. Mine started with 2 ounces then after about two months went to 4 ounces. At 6 months she started eating 5 ounces. You could make a smaller bottle then send extra milk in another container or bottle. That way it is there if needed and if not then you can use it another time.
    Mom to Lainey (11-8-06)

This link might help:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkcalc.html

It not only gives you an idea how much babies usually eat at different stages, but also has a milk calculator to give you an idea how much your baby is eating at each feeding!

Hope this helps!