Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Reluctant Eater 15 Month Old

Red face Reluctant Eater 15 Month Old

I have a reluctant eater on my hands. He has quite a personality with some strong opinions and in his opinion Mommy milk is BEST!!! He will eat some things but not in enough quantity to make a meal. I tried to feed him solids after his nap when he is hungry, but he went on a food strike to show his displeasure at being denied milk upon waking......Will he ever eat food?????

Default Re: Reluctant Eater 15 Month Old

I am sorry but I don't have any suggestions, just sympathy. I am right there with you on this one. DD just turned 15 months and seems to be on a hunger strike this week. I am pulling my hair out!!! All her favorites are no longer favorites anymore. Only difference between you and me, we weaned last month and I can't get her to even drink cow's milk. I have a skinny toddler and it drives me crazy when she won't eat.

I have the same concerns about my 14 month old! I am glad I'm still breastfeeding so I know he is at least getting some nutrition everyday!

But I've read many times that it's impossible to starve a toddler, they know when they are hungry and what they need to eat. If you keep track of what they eat in a week (instead of day-to-day) you might notice they are taking in enough.

Here are 2 articles I found useful from Dr. Sear's website:

HOW CAN I GET MY 15-M-O PICKY EATER TO EAT MORE?
    http://www.askdrsears.com/faq/fit1.asp

IS YOUR CHILD GETTING ENOUGH TO EAT? HOW TO TELL
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/3/t031100.asp

kci, my son wouldn't drink cow's milk too. I kept offering and eventually he loves to drink it cold from a regular cup using a straw. Now his fave drink is chocolate milk.

HTH.
    Last edited by dorothy; August 9th, 2007 at 02:20 PM.
    Caylen Koen Chew (25/05/06)
    Lost No.2 in Aug 2008 ... Lost No. 3 in May 2009 Hoping for another ... Enjoying No.1

Thanks for the response...sorry it took so long to get back...I'm getting my master's online and home schooling a gifted 11 year old! DS is a chunky monkey! He is 30 pounds at 16 mos, so he is not going without sustenance...I'm just really tired!

We have 8 teeth coming in at once...he has started biting anything in the vicinity of his mouth, and I kind of understand! We ate a jar of baby food today and some yogurt!!! Do you know how hard it is to find yogurt without high fructose corn syrup?