Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: defrosting

Default defrosting

if i go to a cookout and i want to bring some of my frozen bm can i just bring it and let it defrost on it's own throughout the day like in the diaper bag? or should i be defrosting it another way and then storing it in their fridge until it's time to use it? or should i put it in a cooler bag?

Default Re: defrosting

I think it is recommended to defrost frozen milk in the fridge. I have left it out on the counter before though. It does not take long to defrost when it is at room temp, though, and you do not want it to go bad.
    Mom to Lainey (11-8-06)

thanks. i figured that would be the case.

I think you can also defrost under warm running water. I just happened to get a breast pump today and was reading the instructions on storage. Medela says to feed thawed milk immediately or store in fridge up to 24hrs. Don't let thawed milk sit out at room temp. If traveling, transport milk with cooling gel packs. So it sounds like you should keep it as cool as possible and then thaw and serve immediately. HTH

thanks. maybe i should've just dug my pump book out! thanks for saving me the effort! lazy me!