Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: should i take antibiotics?

Question should i take antibiotics?

So Wednesday I developed flu like symptoms (soreness and aches all over my body and general fatigue) with a high fever and for the next two days this persisted with a throbbing migrane as well. My family was wonderful and took care of the two kids and would just bring the baby (4 months) back in to nurse while I slept for 3 days straight.

Friday I was feeling a little better but my throat felt atrocious so off to the doctor I went and alas I have strep. I hate the idea of taking antibiotics and messing my own and the baby's gut flora but I don't want to put us at further risk for infection. So far the kids seem to be okay but I don't want them to get sick either. I know I should have started on garlic from day one but my head was just in such a doozy it was tough just trying to get water down. Anyone ever just let the strep take it's course without antibiotics?

Default Re: should i take antibiotics?

I know how you feel. I am on antibiotics now (almost done), but I had a wisdom tooth removed and I HAVE to be on antibiotics because I have Mitro Valve Prolaspe (MVP) and if I don't take antibiotics prior to any dental work, I risk a heart infection (risking my life).

We are anti-antibiotic as much as possible. We keep our gut healthy by consuming lots of probiotics daily and staying away from sugar and carbs, the very things that feed bad bacteria in the gut. BUT, there are two things you should never take a chance with. Anything related to the teeth/gums, and strep.

I recommend the antibiotic. Don't mess around with it. Just be sure that immediately upon completion of your antibiotic, pump on on the probiotics. Your baby will get these too from your breastmilk. You can find probiotics in your health food store in capsule form, also from kefir (we make kefir smoothies), yoghurt, and things like this.

BTW, the safest antibiotic for bf is those in the penicillin family.

Tracy

What scares me is that the doctor said, "if this antibiotic doesn't kill it then I don't know what will". So I was afraid of what it would do to our bodies.

I do have probiotics I wasn't sure if I could take them during my antibiotic treatment though. Did you wait till after? I got the prescription yesterday and was reading up as much as my head could take without getting another migrane but I think the antibiotic would be benificial in this instance I just want to make sure to get us back to "normal" as quickly as possible.

Thanks so much for your insight!

I'm not 100 % sure but I read this somewhere~ my disclaimer
    To help w/the antibiotics for you & baby you could start taking acidophilus.
    Good luck and feel better!

Antibiotcs aren't "bad", it's just that they have been WAY overused and now there are so many strains of illnesses that are resistent to antibiotics and that, of course, is bad. When used for the right purpose, antibiotics are a good thing.

You could certainly continue to take your probiotics during your antibiotic treatment, but the moment you take another antibiotic, it will kill it. Antibiotics kill the BAD bacteria as well as the GOOD. Once you complete your antibiotic, the "war" will be on between the good and the bad bacteria in your gut to see which one increases more. This is why so many people end up with a secondary type of infection, especially women with yeast infections after taking an antibiotic. It's simply because the gut didn't get enough good bacteria back in it. So then... you have to get on yet another antibiotic for the secondary infection, and on it goes....

So, in short, you can take the probiotics while you are on the antibotic if you want (but they will be killed each time you take an antibiotic again) but DEFINITELY pump up on the probiotics immediately after.

Also, try to find more than one type of probiotic to take. Acidipholos is just one and the one most people know about, but there are many. A superb way to get good probiotics is through kefir, but the capsuls work, too.

Tracy

I take them between antibiotic doses to keep from develpoing yeast during antibiotic treatment, then continue afterward b/c as said each antibiotic dose kills them. But, if I waited 10-14 days to start, I'd have yeast by then, and ds would have thrush.

I believe untreated strep can lead to scarlet fever; my niece just had that complication. No insurance, so they were hoping it wasn't strep, and it progressed.

another strange thing that caused me to take a step back is that the doctor prescribed 20 pills (for one a day). that just seemed REALLY long. i thought 14 days was what the usual regimen was.

Call your doctor about the prescription and clarify. There was probably just a miscommunication.

I agree, double check on that dosage with your doc. just to be sure.
    Maybe it's a different kind of antibiotic. One a day for 20 days seems extreme. You want to get it taken care of and the good stuff back into your system as soon as possible. Amoxicillan is typically prescribed for strep (I think) so ask your doc. about that. Anything in the Penicillin family is safest when you are bf.

Tracy

I would NOT delay antibiotics when dealing with strep. If you let it "take its course," it will progress to the scarletina rash -- bright red "sunburn-like" rash all over your body -- also known as scarlet fever, which back in the pre-penicillin days was a common child-killer. My own grandmother lost her sense of smell due to scarlet fever, and if you know the _Little House_ books by Laura Ingalls, you may remember that her sister Mary went blind that way. Strep is a generalized infection that can do heart damage if left untreated. Take the abx!!

A few years ago, strep was going through my stepson's middle school. When he came down with the vicious sore throat and fever, I assumed strep, took him straight to the doctor on a Friday. They take two cultures -- one that is processed quickly in the office, and the other to be sent away to the lab for a more precise reading. For some reason, the in-office culture came back negative, and by the time the lab returned the other culture (positive for strep) on Monday morning, my son had the scarletina rash and was the sickest I've ever seen him. He got the penicillin injected in his rear end, which was painful but the fastest and most effective way to deliver it, and he was feeling a lot better within 24 hours. If you've delayed treating, you might ask your doctor about the injections to give you a boost on a more rapid recovery.

Do take precautions with acidophilus and avoiding dampness and sugar to minimize the risk of thrush. I'm so sorry you're dealing with this illness while also caring for a nursling. Hope you feel much better very soon!

--Rebecca