Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hurting and uncomfortable

Exclamation Hurting and uncomfortable

my left breast is heavily engorged, so much so, my nipple is swollen and hard, making it impossible for my 5 day old son to latch on, i've tried pumping and warm cloth with massage over it, but nothing is working, any suggestions??, PLZ? i need some relief

Default Re: Hurting and uncomfortable

This webpage has a great description of reverse pressure softening. You can use this technique to soften the nipple so your baby can latch on.
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/engorgement.html

Please try this, and then let us know how you're doing.

Congrats on your new arrival!

Much thanx =0)

How is it going now? Has the engorgement decreased? Is your baby able to latch on?

engorgement has decreased alot, but my left nipple still gets too hard for my son to latch on. He latches on to my right , but he unlatches like 5 seconds after doing so, not sure why, maybe nothing comes out?? but then again my milk drips out, dunno. Still pumping, i get very lil breastmilk, like 1 oz and a half with both breats combined =/ and i am still giving him the bottle ( breastmilk whenever i can) cause he gets so frustrated, i can't stand to hear him wailing

it can be disheartening can't it?

dont worry though - I barely got an ounce or two when my DS was a few days old - they have such tiny stomachs that that is all they can take anyway at that age.

something that helped me was wearing www.aventbaby.com/uk/products/ catalogue/breast_feeding/breast_shells.html Avent Breast Shells. they made my nipples (which were/are flat/inverted) stick out well enough for DS to latch on to.

it will get easier with time - your DS will grow, his mouth will get bigger and his latch will get better. hang on in there.

Well i got him to latch and stay at my right breast finally for about 5-8 mins, and i know he got some milk. But he doesn't like it, he let go and started crying, i am pretty sure he drained me after the whole session, and then it was my turn to cry cause he couldn't get anything from my left and i know he was still hungry i was there for about an hour trying to comfort him and get him to latch on again with no luck, i felt horrible hearing him cry the way he was, that alone makes me feel like i'm not gonna be able to do this, i just felt so guilty. best i can do at this moment is give him breastmilk in a bottle, still not getting much tho.

MamiKika,

((((hugs)))) I'm so sorry you're going through this.

Remember that even if your breast feels empty, there is still milk. Milk is constantly being produced...even as your baby nurses!

Your left breast is still engorged, correct? Have you considered seeing an IBCLC for more help?

Success?? Well i think so

WE had a very good feeding time today *yay* . Around 6:30 he woke up and was content to just watch me and my mother chit chat, but when i noticed him sucking his hand, I quickly put him to my right breast, and *poof* he latched on and didn't let go for about 15 mins... he got a bit fussy so i switched him to my left, and again the magic happened, he latched ona nd i heard him swallowing, tho he stayed much shorter time then he did the right one. so i switched back to the right... 1 hour and 15 mins later we were still at it......needless to say i am a bit on the spent side, but happy we succeeded My only concern is that after all that time, he was still hungry, and i am sure it was not from lack of milk, i could hear him swallowing. Any ideas on why?? he is 7 days old today. Scary to think he could handle so much milk hehe

after an hour he is just sucking for comfort, so perhaps you want to consider a pacifier/dummy? this saved my nipples from further trauma, and DS abandoned the pacifier once he found his fists (aged 3mo).