Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Would you pump in the hospital?

Default Re: Would you pump in the hospital?

Hi

I agree with not pumping, under normal circumstances - but to demand feed baby which will regulate your supply.

I did pump in hospital though but that was because my milk was late 'coming in' and my dd was hungry - so it was basically used to stimulate the milk flow.

Good luck with the birth!

TM is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Bring a pump. My LO went onto NICU unexpectedly and I'm glad I had it there. When we were reunited 3 days later I was glad I pumped and we were ready to breast feed. Of course this will not happen to you as I'm sure you will have a beautiful experiece at the hospital and your baby will be healthy. It just wouldn't hurt to have it there.

Jen, Bf'ing got off to a rough start with my dd because she was so sleepy and had no interest in eating. She was born at 38 wks, 6 lbs 2 ounces. She didn't suck vigorously, just fell right asleep. We had to undress her and the LC stayed with me to help get her on. I did get to nurse her early and try often, it's just that we never had any good nursing sessions.....so they brought in the pump and this aggresive pumping schedule that had me still trying to nurse her around the clock, but also pumping every 3 hrs around the clock-even through the night. My dd went down to 5 lbs 7 oz's but things got a lot better and nursing took off.

That over-supply killed me though. I was so miserable. Milk was literally squirting everywhere, all the time.

My c-section will be at 38 wks again this time and I hope the new one is a tad bigger and more alert....would be awesome not to deal with jaundice again....and of course, like you girls said---maybe avoid the pump. I really don't want to use it and I don't want to pay $50 for the tubing kit just to pump a little bit.

I'll bring my Avent manual pump that has worked well for me in the past. If things are relatively smooth, that should hopefully get me through.

Bump
    Jenn SAHM and carseat to

DD 5 years old , nursed till just shy of 3 yrs old

Jen, Bf'ing got off to a rough start with my dd because she was so sleepy and had no interest in eating. She was born at 38 wks, 6 lbs 2 ounces. She didn't suck vigorously, just fell right asleep. We had to undress her and the LC stayed with me to help get her on. I did get to nurse her early and try often, it's just that we never had any good nursing sessions.....so they brought in the pump and this aggresive pumping schedule that had me still trying to nurse her around the clock, but also pumping every 3 hrs around the clock-even through the night. My dd went down to 5 lbs 7 oz's but things got a lot better and nursing took off.
    Okay, that makes a little more sense If you run into this problem again, I'd suggest you pump to *replace* any feeds your baby doesn't take at the breast, but I wouldn't recommend pumping round the clock in addition to nursing round the clock, does that make sense?

Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

Yes, makes sense & thank-you all!

I will just wait and see what this baby is like and go from there. I will pump, if she isn't a vigorous nurser and my instinct will tell me what I need to do--I'm sure. Plus, I will talk to the LC and explain the problem that I had last time. I just won't go crazy with the pump (if I need to use it). I'll be very aware of what happened last time with the insane over-supply problem.