Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Intro

Default Intro

Hi! I am 20 weeks pregnant today with my second child. My older daughter will be 11 yrs. old this month. I am epecting a girl! I am seriously considering breastfeeding this one (I did not breastfeed before). Any info shared would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Default Re: Intro

do you have a local lll group?
    I would check that out 1st. That way if you run into any problems you will know who to call.
    You might want to get a copy of the womanly art of breastfeeding and read it. Many groups have lending librarys where you can check out books for free. And some have coppies to sell..
    another good book is So thats what they are for by Janet Tamaro
    you can nurse this baby!

Welcome cherie, and congrats on your pregnancy! My stepson is 12 years older than my son, and I have actually really enjoyed this age spacing. The older one can really help a lot, and they enjoy each other so much with almost no rivalry. I think it was even good for my stepson's self-esteem as he entered adolescence to have a baby brother who just thinks the world of him.

I second Andrea's suggestions to read a couple reliable bfing books (LLL has an "approved" bibliography -- some of the mainstream books available give misinformation) and if possible attend LLL group meetings while you are still pregnant. We find that women need two things to breastfeed successfully: accurate information and adequate support (practical and emotional). So during your pregnancy, you can educate yourself by reading and attending meetings, and you can also line up the various forms of support you will need -- help at home in the early weeks, contact info your local LLL Leaders, and best of all, try to establish friendships with other breastfeeding mothers if you don't have them already among your family and friends. I like to tell people that I would have quit the first weekend home, if not for my LLL Leader answering my phone calls and visits from family friends who had nursed their children and reassured me that we would get through the early difficulties. We did!

The internet is also such a wonderful resource, and I encourage you to hang out on these boards and just soak up information.

--Rebecca

Thanks for the replies! I checked and there is not a group near me. I do have a very good friend who has already offered her help with bfing. She has 4 boys all of whom she bfed. My fiance is extremely supportative and so is my daughter. I haven't asked what his kids think about it yet. Honestly, that doesn't matter. I have decided to bf so, I will. Doing what is best for this baby is what is important to me. Having his support and my daughter's did help make my decision because they are the ones who will have to help me get through this. I look forward to reading the posts and will try not pester y'all with too many questions.

Welcome and Congratulations! You're not pestering anybody with your questions, this forum is to support one another and help us get through difficult and not so difficult times, as well as joys. Anyway, like they say educate yourself, that's going to be your best weapon. I'm glad your partner supports you, he should read about BF too. As I don't have any close friends that EBF, or better said no friends around at all, I've found this forum to be a great help and support, I'm still looking forward to go to LLL meeting since I haven't been to one yet! Good Luck! and let us know when that precious gift comes home!!

I think the most important conditions for successful breastfeeding are:

- Information (which you can get here)
    - Confidence. You can feed this baby. Many women think they don't have enough milk, but in all likelihood that is not the case.
    - Support. Breastfeeding a newborn is very demanding. Try to arrange for somebody to help you with chores and other stuff during the early weeks, preferably somebody who stays in the house with you. A mother or mother-in-law would be ideal, but only if she is supportive of breastfeeding.
    - Determination. Establishing a successful nursing relationship can take many weeks. Try not to give up when you encounter difficulties, but get advice. Most problems can be overcome.

Best of luck!