Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Ah, breastmilk...

Default Ah, breastmilk...

I posted this in the chit-chat area, but thought some new mommies would like to hear what else their milk can do!

So I have heard a million times about the miracles of breastmilk...it is multi-talented! I always thought using it for other things than my sons nutrition were just a bit too far out there for me (and I am VERY far out there!). So he has had this goopy eye since birth (he is 8 months) we do the ointment here and there (ointment has never really done much!), but mostly I just deal with it because it doesn't seem to bother him and the eye has never been red. Well, today it was red, and swollen. I had been thinking about the breastmilk thing...maybe I will just squirt a little in...then thought no way. Finally I did it, mid-nursing session, just squirted some in the kids eye. He giggled. Low and behold his eye is no longer red, swollen or goopy.

I am now a believer, breastmilk for everyone! Got an earache? Squirt some breastmilk in there! Scratched yourself, have some breastmilk. Diaper rash? How about some breastmilk. I get the occasional pimple...how about some breastmilk!

I am now thinking of lactating until I am 90!

Sarah

Default Re: Ah, breastmilk...

Here in Sweden the midwives recommend applying breastmilk for rashes, minor wounds, and even a clogged nose... but it does work! They say breastmilk has moisturizing and anti-bacterial properties, that must be how it helps clear up rashes and heal wounds... but how it helps clear the baby's nose is still a mystery to me

It has mucolytic properties, which means it actually dissolves mucus. That's how it clears out the nose!

Ah, breastmilk indeed! Great stuff.

Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

Pazygozo is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Yes, I got a bad rash on both my feet (I think because they were sticking under the bed when I sat in my nursing chair...we've since moved it), and when I applied breastmilk, it cleared up in about 2 days (after 4 days of trying other things).

I would just take my soaked disposable breast pads from my bra in the morning (I was leaking a lot since ds has started to sleep through his night feedings, thank goodness!) and stick them right on my toes. I'm sure that sounds really really strange, but I hated to waste all that milk. Plus, all wet like that, the pads looked like cold compresses! And, Voila...Relief!

Quote Originally Posted by LLL LactoJen
    It has mucolytic properties, which means it actually dissolves mucus. That's how it clears out the nose!
    Interesting! Breastmilk really is amazing stuff.

To help clear up the nasal passages, do you just squirt some in baby's nose? DD has a stuffy nose every morning so I'm thinking of trying this.
    Amber
    Mommy to Bridget (12/20/05) and Brady (9/6/07)

pimples... I heard somewhere that for really bad acne, baby pee works! I don't think I want to try that one though lol
    Melanie
    Proud Army Wife to James
    Loving Mommy to DS Gavin: March 16, 2006 and DSS Cody: Feb 13, 1998
    Banners/Photos/HC

Quote Originally Posted by Amber
    To help clear up the nasal passages, do you just squirt some in baby's nose? DD has a stuffy nose every morning so I'm thinking of trying this.
    I just squirted -- or attempted to -- it up baby's nose. Sometimes easier said than done! But it sure works and is much easier than using a bulb syringe.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Does Breast milk seriouly help pimples?? I though I'd tried everything but it looks like I have one more thing to try! Thanks for the tip!
    Breastmilk!! Amazing stuff!