Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Induced Lactation and Soymilk/phytoestrogens

Question Induced Lactation and Soymilk/phytoestrogens

Hi all,

40 years old
    Hysterectomy with ovaries remaining
    Never been pregnant

I am trying to induce lactation for a hopefully successful adoption at the end of the year.

I have read the many websites out there on this subject and I've started pumping several times a day (between work and life in general) for 20 minutes. I also massage my breasts as often as I can. I just started using Mothers Milk tea as well as the herbal extract Mothers Lactation Tonic by Herb Pharm.

I am starting to get some fluid - a sort of clear to sort of yellowish fluid from my breasts.

Anyway, my question is about drinking Soymilk and phytoestrogens in general. Does anyone know if Soymilk/phytoestrogens have any impact, either negative or positive on inducing lactation or on lactation in general?

I have done many online searches and can't find anything that addresses this particular issue.

Any help or info would be greatly appreciated!

Default Re: Induced Lactation and Soymilk/phytoestrogens

weclome to the forums.
    heres a link from kellymoms about induced lacation.
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/adopt/index.html

I'm not sure about the soy. Lots of mothers around the world eat/drink lots of soy and they breastfeed.
    And lots don't do cows milk and do just fine breastfeeding.

Thank you kindly. Some good info on that site. Hopefully someone will know about the soy/phytoestrogens. I don't want to eat/drink stuff that may inhibit my milk production.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/soy/NS_patient-soy

heres something from the mayobclinic

Soy as a part of the regular diet is traditionally considered to be safe during pregnancy and breastfeeding, although scientific research is limited in these areas. The effects of high doses of soy or soy isoflavones in humans are not clear, and therefore are not recommended.

Thank you again for the link. I know most of these studies involve high doses which are usually massive amounts that no one would ever consume. However, until I can find something a bit more conclusive, I think I'll just do away with the soymilk from my diet.

Quote Originally Posted by cameysmom View Post
    I am starting to get some fluid - a sort of clear to sort of yellowish fluid from my breasts.
    Hello and !

That yellowish/clear fluid is probably colostrum...liquid gold! It is the first milk that a newborn baby receives, and it is loaded with nutrients and immunities. It sounds to me like you are well on your way to building a milk supply for your adopted baby. Way to go!

Check out the sticky at the top of this forum. There are several resources posted there that can help you breastfeed your adopted baby.

Best Wishes!

Tiana

Wink Re: Induced Lactation and Soymilk/phytoestrogens

wow you are amazing didnt know it was possible to make milk if youve never been pregnant what a great mommy

Welcome to our board! I want to give you the title of a WONDERFUL book. It is Hillary Jacobson's Mother Food. She suggest NOT using soymilk. There are different kinds of phytoestrogens. Soy is a very strong phytoestrogen. This will hinder your efforts. You can use mild phytoestrogens to block estrogen receptor sites and use these to help your body. These milder forms are found in her book. It is VERY detailed and I can't even start to summarize all the helpful info. You will love getting the book and reading it while doing all your pumping.

You already know that you do not need overies, just a working pituitary gland. If you already have the first drops, you have given your body the message. It will feel slow, but keep it up. It does happen. Slow and steady. Slow and steady. We will route you on!

I have had lactation consultants tell me that with induced lactation we just don't get colostrum. I thought the same thing when I induced. However, I have recently seen research that shows that the amount of antibodies in just 4 oz a day of breast milk is enough to give the baby the full impact of breast feeding. The rest is just to meet nutritional needs. (I am not implying that there are not synergistic benefits to eclusively breastfeeding, rather that even a small amount of milk is SUPER HUGE in benefits.)

Anyway, glad to meet you and I am excited to hear more from you. Remember to wipe the drops away when you pump to see if another one forms. You will get your first drip and then eventually your first spray. That takes the longest. After you get sprays, it takes a little while to get that first ounce, but it does speed up. Keep us posted!