Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: sleeping

Default sleeping

i need some help....17 day old infant who will only nurse to sleep, unless she's in the car. i don't mind the nursing to sleep at all, and i am sure i will miss it later on. baby girl will drop off to sleep, and i will wait until i think she drops off to a deep sleep, and then I try to put her down in her cradle. almost instantly, she wakes up. she'll coo and suck her fingers for a few minutes, and then she cries. so, it's back into the living room to start again. she'll latch on and suck for 30 seconds before she's asleep again.

last night, i tried to put her down at 10:30 pm, 1 am, 4 am. in between, i held her while we slept on the couch. in the morning, i put her in her vibrating seat so i could sleep in bed for a hour or two.

what's the deal? what can we do differently?

Default Re: sleeping

swaddling works great. Swaddle her really tight b4 you feed, that way whe is still nice and warm...
    try laying her slightly on her side. I now lay my lo on his belly to sleep in my bed.. BUt since I figured out the swaddling thing still works at his age, I will try the crib again...
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

have you tried to breastfeed lying down. Shes just so little and wants to be close to her momma, she doesnt even realize she isnt apart of you or you arent apart of her anymore. Co sleeping is not for everyone but it would be less of a hop if you were lying down in bed with her. Nursing lying down has been wonderful for me. My lo is up 4-5 times for snacks and I barely get up.
    My little May baby just turned THE BIG ONE!
    Formally known as kaykate23

Now, that I think about it....we had the A/C on in the bedroom last night because it is so muggy outside. I wonder if she would have stayed asleep if I put her in her crib in her own room. We don't have the air on super cold, but it may have been enough to wake her. We do swaddle her, but she prefers to have her hands out. It is probably not enough to keep her warm during the transfer from my warm body to the chilled cradle!

I have a 6 weeks old, and faced the same issue! Feeding while lying in bed saved me many many hours of sleep!

Quote Originally Posted by martiniqueen View Post
    N We do swaddle her, but she prefers to have her hands out. It is probably not enough to keep her warm during the transfer from my warm body to the chilled cradle!
    I agree! My DS does not like his arms in the blanket either! He is now 6 weeks old and only sleeps with me or in his swing!! Every time I lay hime down in the bassinet or the crib, he immediately wakes SCREAMING!! Sorry, no real advice, just wanted to let you know you are not alone!!
    Betsy
    mama to:
    N 5/03
    J 6/07

my boy definitely has to sleep with his hands out, too.
    we experienced a period there (probably from weeks 2-4) where alasdair refused to sleep, which meant he was too tired to eat. lots of screaming and many inconsolable hours. it's so difficult. he hasn't yet developed a solid sleep routine, but he's doing better.
    all i can say is that it will get better---the more days that pass, the more they start to get comfortable with the world.

She wants to be close to mom.

If you're finding yourself falling asleep on the couch or a chair with your baby, it would be safer to take her into bed with you (provided you follow all of the safety guidelines, of course). You might also find that your baby rests better with you near. Here's some info:
    http://www.drjaygordon.com/developme...cosleeping.asp
    http://www.nd.edu/~jmckenn1/lab/faq.html

HTH!

Hi

We used to try and wake our dd up if she fell asleep after feeding, so that she could learn to settle, otherwise she would never get to sleep as she would wake up when we put her down in her crib.

Every baby is different, and while one method may work for one, it may not work for another.

We found it really difficult getting our daughter into a good sleep routine in the early months, but once she learned how to self settle it was great.

The first 3 months of life is such an adjustment for baby being outside the womb...
    Last edited by LLL_Jolie; August 12th, 2007 at 10:20 PM. Reason: remove link

At night I nurse DS (week 1/2) lying down in our bed. I think he gets comfort out of being close to me and he also uses me as a paci. We both get some sleep at night because he is not too fond of his bassinett and prefers to be next to me. I think it's just the way newborns are. They are used to being with you constantly in the womb and all of the sudden are alone in a bed. They get comfort out of the closeness.