Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: stupid craddle cap

Default stupid craddle cap

should be called cradle crap! it is gross. what do you do for it?

Default Re: stupid craddle cap

My DD had it and the only thing that really helped was applying olive oil or almond oil b4 her bath and brushing her hair gently to remove the skin, then washing her hair (& the brush)....didn't apply anything to hair afterwards
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

LOL thats whats my SO and I call it too.
    I also use oil on her head before bath time. She gets it back right after the bath though. I think I need to leave the oil in longer.

It doesn't disappear the first time you do it...but continue doing this at each bath time until its gone.
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

We used this stuff from target it is really cheap to buy...

'Gentle Naturals' brand Cradle Cap Care (blue bottle)

Anyways just rubbed it into his head during bathtime and I used a soft brush to loosen it off his head and it was gone. That stuff has oils, etc. in it and worked great! I would think olive oil would work too, as long as you don't mind your baby smelling like salad dressing.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

This is what I did for Mason (got it from dr.sears):

"Use baby oil or olive oil to soften the thick crusts. Rub it in with your finger, let the oil soak in for 15-30 minutes, then gently remove the crusts with a soft toothbrush. Wash the oil out immediately. This is very important, leaving the oil in too long can cause his whole face to break out in a rash."

thanks i have an oil i bought for it but i guess i need to give it more time. and i have to stop picking at it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jodikelley View Post
    thanks i have an oil i bought for it but i guess i need to give it more time. and i have to stop picking at it!!!
    Yes picking at it can cause it to get infected. Eww....so oozing cradle cap would be way worse than the scales

We do the olive oil and it seems to help. He always looks a little greasy after his bath no matter how well we shampoo.
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

I've been using Aquafor lotion by Eucerin - I've only used for a few days but it seems to be helping. I put it on daily, and wash his hair every 3 days and put on after.
    Kat

SAHM mom to Richard, born 6/6/07 at 8 pounds, now 27!

Wife to Michael for 13 years

Smile Re: stupid craddle cap

According to my mom, doctors used to prescribe Selsun Blue. She used it on us as kids, and in her family daycare. It has worked for all three of my girls as well. I never use it on the face or around the eyes. A drop a little smaller than an eraser on the crown or back of the head will clear all the creeping crud, even that on the forehead. Just rub it in and rinse it off with baby reclined over the sink so the water doesn't run in her eyes.