Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Exclusively Breastmilk through bottle?

Question Exclusively Breastmilk through bottle?

Can anyone help at all? I had my baby 7 days ago and am really struggling to breastfeed. I have very flat nipples and she struggles to latch on and feed properly. I resorted to nipple shields on day 4 to enable me to feed her breastmilk without using a bottle to avoid teat confusion. Last night my nipples were so sore that I was unable to feed in this way at all and resorted bottle feeding feeding breastmilk. I have continued to express for the last 12 hours and she is feeding well through the bottle. Are there any disadvantages to expressing and feeding via bottle over the long term? Has anyone done this for a considerable amount of time?

Default Re: Exclusively Breastmilk through bottle?

lots of moms do only use expressed milk, its just alot of work.
    there is still hope that you can get the baby nursing well
    keep trying.

7 days old is still very young.
    Are you having engorement? That can cause sore nipples!
    Try and look up your local leader she can help over the phone beter then we can online.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...cotterman.html

heres a link from kelly moms that might help.

Sounds similar to when my daughter was born. I tried BF'ing the first week, breast shields and all!! It was too painful for me and I would tense up every time and cry. I finally, with the help of a visiting nurse, began pumping. My daughter is almost 7 months and I am still pumping exclusively!! Do whatever you feel is best and most comfortable to you is my advice. I started out pumping every 2 hours, now it is every 3 hours for about 10 minutes with the lansinoh double electric. I love it. It does take time, but she is still getting my milk! GOOD LUCK to you and your newborn!

To answer your question, you absolutely can pump and feed breastmilk exclusively. However, if there is any way at all that breastfeeding would be comfortable for you and effective for baby, I urge you to keep trying since feeding directly at the breast is much easier.

Have you called your local LLL Leader for one to one help?

I would suggest reading this:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/flat.html

And I would urge you to pump a little before offering the breast (to help draw your nipple out). I would also suggest shaping your nipple by pulling back towards your chest wall. This will help your nipple protrude while your baby latches on. In addition, be sure that your baby's mouth is open WIDE before latching on, and he latches far back on the areola.

If you have more questions, do not hesitate to ask!

Our baby is 10.5 months old and I am an exclusive pumper. I went through all sorts of agony initially, until finally the lactation consultant said that sometimes it just doesn't happen. Talk abot feeling free! So, I continue to pump and will until she is 1. My husband and I talk about having another, and we both like the idea of pumping for the next one too -- it allows him to feel part of the feeding cycle, and takes some of the pressure off me.

As has been said -- it is a lot of work. But I wouldn't do it any other way!

Hi! I Exclusively pump too. My LO is now four months now and I plan to go for a year or longer if I can manage it. It is definitely doable! It takes more time than just nursing because you feed your baby and pump and wash and sterilize all the bottles and pump parts, but it's so worth it! I think the only downside I've found with it is that I'm the type of person that likes to be out and about all day, but I've had to accept the fact that I'm home more in order to pump. If you're nursing you could sit on a bench at the mall and feed your baby, you can't do that with a pump! If you'd like more info feel free to PM me. Good luck and I hope this helps!

I have been EPing (Medela PIS)for 11 weeks after trying unsuccessfully to BF. I started pumping on day 2 but continued to try and BF for 6 weeks. It is worth the sacrifice. I plan on keeping it up as long as possible but may need to stop after returning to work since my job isn't too flexible and pumping regularly may be impossible. But I am building up a nice freezer stash and hope that can last till DD is at least 7-8 months.

It is a lot of work and it is not as portable as BF but any BM that your baby can get is better than none. I wish you the best - Good Luck!