Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Relactating with Medela mini electric - will it work to bring back milk?

Unhappy Relactating with Medela mini electric - will it work to bring back milk?

Hello Ladies -

I am trying to reestablish my milk supply and get baby back on the breast after 5 weeks of being off the breast. He won't latch for long because he doesn't get any milk yet. Am on medication and lactation tea. Have been expressing every few hours for just under a week.
    I purchased the Medela mini electric by the advice of my clinic sister who used it to successfully relactate - am finding it to be a very slow pump. I've only gone from no milk to a teaspoon each side so far. I can't afford to buy another pump.
    Any hints tips or advice. Am feeling frustrated and hopeless.

Fleur

Default Re: Relactating with Medela mini electric - will it work to bring back milk?

A teaspoon is a teaspoon! Congrats!

The mini electric is a great pump for pumping occassionally, however it's not recommended for maintaining or increasing production. That being said, you mentioned this is the only pump you can afford right now. It is possible you could increase your production with this pump and it would work best if you combined your pumping efforts with hand expression. Here are two different methods of hand expression:
    http://www.lactationinstitute.org/MANUALEX.html
    http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastf...xpression.html

My best suggestion is to pump and try to hand express after, or to pump one time and hand express the other for a total of 8-10 expressions per day.

Keep us updated!

Default Re: Relactating with Medela mini electric - will it work to bring back milk?

Wow! That is excellent! Please let us know how things turn out.

Thanks for advice. Have combined with hand expression and am up to a tablespoon already. If i can arrange to get another pump - which one would you recommend? Will persevere. Baby is so not interested in taking my breast - any suggestions....