Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: cow milk

Default cow milk

I am not quite sure where to post this... so I'll try here.

My lo will turn a year at the end of September.... and I am looking forward to stop pumping at work. It has been hard... both because of a very demanding job and because of struggling with supply issue.... anyway, I hope to continue bf her when with her, but to switch her to cow milk when she is at day care.

How do you suggest the transition should go? .... and maybe a stupid question.... , but how would I know if she is allergic to cow milk?

Default Re: cow milk

Hi.
    IMO that transistion is really up to your child. We started trying to give my son milk in a sippy cup since he'd been drinking water out of it since 10 months. We tried for 4months. With no real success. By the time I was ready to put him in daycare @14months, I was fine with the idea of just water during the day. The more research I do on dairy, the more OK I feel just trusting my child. Over 70 of the population lives an OK life with out it. If you are looking for other sources of calcium, think greens.
    OH! and after being home with my child for 14months and nursing completely on demand, when I went back to work I never pumped and had zero supply issues. From what I have read that is completely normal. You could probably let the pumping go at this point w/out any real issue.

Way too lazy for formula

Thanks for the reply.....

.... I do wonder if I will continue to produce enough milk for morning/evening/night feedings, if I stop pumping during the day... ?

Here's some good info on pump weaning on the Kellymom.com site

and two on the LLLI resources area:

hanging up the horns
    weaning from the pump

My DS turned 1 at the end of July. He's been drinking from a variety of sipply cups (water and sometimes prune juice) for quite awhile. The first time we offered him cow milk (which we called "cow juice" to make it different from mommy milk) he made a funny face. The second time we offered cow milk he drank it right down.

And then we discovered he had a cow milk sensitivity - all the areas on his face and neck where the cow milk dribbled broke out in a rash almost immediately. We've been through food sensitivity stuff before so weren't alarmed because DS didn't have any serious reactions (problems breathing, hives, vomiting, etc). The next poop that DS had was pretty yucky with some mucous. If your LO has any food reaction - I'd strongly recommend calling your pediatrician just to check if LO is ok.

So ... I had hoped to start pump weaning when DS turned one. Because DS is just beginning to eat alot of solids and is very tiny (16 lbs 4 oz at 12 mo checkup) I don't feel comfortable with DS only having water at day care. At this point he needs the calories from the 10 or so oz of EBM he's getting at day care.

From what I've read and several moms here have shared - yes, you can pump wean and your body will still make enough milk to BF at morning, at night, and on the weekends. The articles above have great ideas about how to pump wean. Oh - and several moms have reported that after a weekend of nursing their breasts are pretty full on Mondays at work, so they pump enough for comfort but not a full pumping session.
    Last edited by lsksam; August 8th, 2007 at 02:54 PM. Reason: typo
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Thanks.... this is very useful....

And once again, I have a follow-up question. A friend of mine who has a 16-month old, formula fed all along, told me I should not give my lo cow milk, but formula (during the day, still with the idea of bb when with baby). That it is more nutritious. My immediate thought was if she eats plenty solids, cow milk should be ok (assuming no allergy).

Any thoughts?

If you are still nursing your lo in the evenings/nights/mornings, I don't see why you'd need to give formula. Whole milk should be fine.

My lo goes to daycare and I send whole milk with her. When I'm with her, we nurse. The first time I gave her whole milk she spit it out. So I had my caregiver mix some ebm with it, and gradually increased the amt of whole milk. Worked like a charm.

If she is allergic to milk, you could push cheese/yogurt/other high calcium/fat foods instead, and send water like the pp mentioned.

As for your supply, your body should regulate to your feeding schedule. I stopped pumping at work in May and have had no problems with supply.
    Bee- proud mama to Maggie, 6/12/06 and Maya, 10/15/08

kelly moms has some good info on cows milk and toddlers
    as long as baby is nursing some they realy don't need cows milk
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...s.html#cowmilk

Many nursing moms are told that they must introduce cow's milk at a year. Your nursing toddler is already getting the best milk he can get - mother's milk! Breastmilk has a higher fat content than whole cow's milk (needed for baby's brain growth), and all the nutrients of human milk are significantly more bioavailable than those of cow's milk because it is species specific (not to mention all the components of mother's milk that are not present in cow's milk).

There is no need for additional milk or (or the equivalent nutrients from other foods) as long as your baby is nursing 3-4 times per day. Cow's milk is really just a convenient source of calcium, protein, fats, vitamin D, etc. - it's not required. There are many people in many parts of the world who do not drink milk and still manage to get all the calcium, protein, fats, vitamin D, etc. that they need.

Good non-dairy sources of protein include meats, fish, peas & beans (chick peas, lentils, baked beans, etc.), tofu and other soy products, boiled eggs, peanut and other nut butters (if your child is not allergic).
    Good non-dairy sources of fats include soy and safflower oils, flax seed and flax seed oil, walnuts, fish and fish oils, avocado. Adding fats to cooking and baking can work well, for example, stir fry in safflower oil or make mini-muffins with soy or rice milk, oil or butter, and eggs.
    Calcium may be derived from many nondairy sources.
    Vitamin D can be supplied by sunlight exposure and food sources.
    If your child is not nursing regularly and is not allergic to cow's milk products, but simply doesn't like cow's milk, you can incorporate milk into your child's diet in other ways. Many children like cheese, whole-fat yogurt or ice cream. You can also put milk into various food products: pancakes, waffles, muffins, French toast, scrambled eggs, mashed potatoes, and baked goods.
    Some moms wish to offer cow's milk to their toddler, but baby doesn't like it. Over the age of 12 months, milk becomes a more minor part of a child's diet. It is sometimes helpful to mix increasing amounts of cow's milk with your expressed milk to help baby get used to the taste. Many dietitians see nothing wrong with adding some flavor (such as strawberry or chocolate) to cow's milk.
    Pediatricians now recommend that any cow's milk be whole milk from a cup after the first year and until the child is at least 2 years of age. This ensures that your child receives enough fat, which is essential to proper brain development. After the age of two, if growth is good, you can switch to low-fat or nonfat milk. Note: If your child is nursing, then remember that mom's milk is "whole" milk - the more breastmilk your child gets, the less need to worry about your child getting additional fat from whole milk or other sources.

It's best to limit the amount of cow's milk that your child receives to 2-3 cups (16-24 ounces) per day, since too much cow's milk in a child's diet can put him at risk for iron-deficiency anemia (because milk can interfere with the absorption of iron) and may decrease the child's desire for other foods.

How much should my toddler be eating?