Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: EPing and Hand Expression

Default EPing and Hand Expression

So I have a question. I'm EPing and hating the pump. I use a Medela Symphony (a hospital grade pump) and it works GREAT!!! But I'm just getting sick of pumping. So I've experimented with hand expression and I've found that I can get the same amount or more out than the pump can. My question is this: Can I sustain a supply with manual expression? I've toyed with the idea of doing pumping and hand expression. I'm thinking pumping 4 times a day and hand expression 4 times a day. Any thoughts or links or personal experience is greatly appreciated!!! Thanks in advance!

Default Re: EPing and Hand Expression

WOW how are you catching your milk...
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

LOL I just use a bowl with a wide rim. It takes practice to aim though. I noticed on the Medela International site that they make a Hand Expression Funnel. I live in the US, but am thinking about finding one online to try it out.

Here's a link:
    http://www.medela.ch/ISBD/en/breastf...cts/funnel.php

Yup, I use a big bowl and I slightly lean towards it, works fine.

You should be able to maintain a supply with hand expression - it might be easier than with pumping if you're expressing more.

It's easiest for me to express milk into a bottle. It catches most of the stray sprays.

You absolutely can combine pumping and hand expression. Some mothers have found that combining the two methods helps them to maintain their production levels. Other mothers have found that combining the two makes long term pumping more comfortable, since hand expression is generally a gentler mode of expression.

Keep us updated!