Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Many questions

Default Re: Many questions

To PP asking about why we feed every 2 hrs during day... we do feed when baby cues, but if he has been sleeping more than that during day, we wake him to feed, hoping that the more he consumes during the day the less he may need at night. since night time is when he seems like he can't get enough, we hoped we might off set it.
    Okay. This is an idea that is prevalent in a couple of parenting books out there, the idea being that baby will sleep through the night by 8-12 weeks of age. You need to know that this is a dangerous practice, sometimes recommended by people who have no medical degrees or formal training about babies. Putting baby on a feeding schedule can be harmful to your milk supply. http://www.lalecheleague.com/FAQ/schedule.html

Unfortunately, most newborns are nocturnal creatures Your prolactin (a hormone that supports breastmilk production) levels are highest at night, and baby instinctively wants to nurse more during this time to protect his food supply! Especially in the very early weeks, NOT nursing during the night can really be detrimental to your supply.

I know it's exhausting, but try to resist the urge to supplement with bottles (whether they contain pumped milk or formula) during the day or night. Babies go through many growth spurts during the first several weeks of life. http://www.lalecheleague.com/FAQ/spurt.html

Human milk is low in fat, and digests within about 90 minutes. For this reason, human babies need to nurse very, very frequently. Some babies, almost constantly. They do space the feeds out as they get older, so it's not like this forever. But these early weeks are SO important in getting your milk supply established--this is why baby needs access to the breast any time he cues it, day or night. That's where measures like co-sleeping and sleeping when your baby sleeps during the day are helpful for an exhausted new mother. http://www.lalecheleague.com/FAQ/cosleep.html

Hang in there mama. IT DOES GET EASIER!
    Hugs
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

Default Re: Many questions

One problem that I had while using the shield was that DD used it as a pacifier to sleep with. She learned how to just suck on the end of it so that she got little to no milk(most of which would pool up in the shield, and then spill out)and just wanted to keep sucking. If I tried to put her down to sleep, she would wake up and cry. It took me a long time to figure out what she was doing, I thought that she was just always hungery. I started giving her a pacifier to sleep with which helped a ton. Can you tell if she is actively swallowing?