Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Gosh, She is SO FUSSY!

Unhappy Gosh, She is SO FUSSY!

My 6 week old is so fussy! I have an over active letdown and an abundant supply, but we have established some positions that seem to be working i.e. yellow stools and less spit-up. But she still fusses ALL DAY! The only time she isn't crying is if she's nursing or sleeping. When I try to console her, she falls asleep, which leads to wakeful nights. In the evening hours she can't be consoled, crying for between 2 and 4 hours on end.

Does this sound like colic?

I'm feeling so overwhelmed and frustrated. I can't get anything in done! The baby nurses every 1-2 hours. She's begun her crying stint for the evening, and I'm exhausted.

Does anyone have any tips on how I may be able to console her in the evening? Does this sound like a more serious problem?

Default Re: Gosh, She is SO FUSSY!

i remember those days!!! warm bath, rocking, massaging, baby einstein music, bouncy chair, mylicon all helped me!! good luck and things do get better!

did this just start? It could be a growth sprt perfect time for one!!!

I know how you feel because week 6 was the WORST for my LO. He cried and cried and cried. It was not fun. I think it was his big growth spurt! After that things got a lot better.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

If only babies could tell us what was wrong! As PPer, if this is a new thing it could be a growth spurt which are very tough on mamas. She could still be gassy and have a belly ache. It takes a while for little stomachs and intestines to heal.

My DD still fusses a lot at the breast. Usually it is because she needs to burp or pass gas (she's not a very proper little lady). It took me too long to admit that she is allergic to dairy, which causes a lot of similar symptoms to OALD/OS. She has a very sensitive stomach. It could be something in your diet. DD hates it when I have too mcuh coffee and anything spicy really makes her mad.

6 weeks is prime fussy time. Have you tried a pacifier? I never wanted to use one myself but it really saved my sanity when DD needed the comfort of sucking but didn't want to be sprayed with milk. You could also offer your finger (nail side down) for an alternative.

Extreme fussiness is a classic sign of overactive letdown. Have you tried block nursing? Or make your time blocks longer?

Nursing uphill can help.

It also might be reflux, aggravated by the strong letdown.

So many things it could be.

We've been going through this since day one and think for us it's colic. There are lots of tears on my end and sometimes I need to put him down and let him cry for a few minutes while I catch my breath. I hope for your sake this is just a growth spurt, but if not, we both have to remember that things WILL get easier and better and that most likely in 6 (7 1/2 for me) weeks we'll be past this...

GL!

Quote Originally Posted by danshoney View Post

It also might be reflux, aggravated by the strong letdown.
    Definitely somingthing to look into. Just because they don't spit up much doesn't rule it out.

My 6 week old is so fussy! I have an over active letdown and an abundant supply, but we have established some positions that seem to be working i.e. yellow stools and less spit-up.

GREAT!

But she still fusses ALL DAY! The only time she isn't crying is if she's nursing or sleeping. When I try to console her, she falls asleep, which leads to wakeful nights.

http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/fussybaby.html

In the evening hours she can't be consoled, crying for between 2 and 4 hours on end.

That's very common! Here's some info:
    http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/fussy-evening.html

I'm feeling so overwhelmed and frustrated. I can't get anything in done! The baby nurses every 1-2 hours. She's begun her crying stint for the evening, and I'm exhausted.

It is exhausting, isn't it? Have you tried carrying your baby in a sling or wrap?

Does anyone have any tips on how I may be able to console her in the evening? Does this sound like a more serious problem?

Doesn't sound serious at all. The links I posted should give you some new ideas!

Hope things look up for you soon!

We went through that between 6-8 weeks, now at almost 11 and the difference is amazing! Still fussy in the evenings but not nearly as bad during the day. So it will get better! xx