Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: infant problems

Default infant problems

My daughter was 9.5 lbs at birth and she loves to eat. She also has gas occasionally and we give her Mylicon drops; it seems to help. However, at other times, and most recently, she is very fussy. She won't take her pacifier, she won't sleep and hates lying on her back, nothing quiets her down...except being put to the breast. This is the only thing that works but she is eating all the time because she won't quiet down any other way.

Can we over feed her? Is her eating so frequently causing her gas? Will she continue to eat if she has gas pain?

Bryan, Texas

Default Re: infant problems

First of all, congratulations on the birth of your daughter

I do not believe that you can overfeed a BF baby, though some may disagree. She will stop when she is full. I would say that if allowing her to nurse for comfort is working for you and her...then why stop???

BUT...how old is your DD? how much does she weigh now? has the fussiness been recent or an on-going thing? is she fussy only at certain times or all the time? have you tried swaddling her really tight either in a receiving blanket or something like The Miracle Blanket??? Have you tried laying down and nursing her to sleep? Dr Sears has some wonderful resources on infant sleep.

All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

NW OH

Leslie asked a lot of questions that I would have asked!
    If she is at an age for a growth spurt that might be the culprit. Or if she is young enough, a lot of babies have periods of the day where they are pretty much inconsolable
    We can provide some helpful links when we know more!!!
    Hang in there!

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!

I was going to ask how old your lo is too. I don't know a whole a lot about reflux, but I've heard that babies with reflux get really uncomfortable and fussy on their backs. My dd had problems with gas at first too, but I started taking an acidophilis supplement while I was bf and it seemed to help her gas.

My dd was 9 lb 11 oz. Aren't big babies fun!!

She's 19 day's old so nearing the 3 week growth spurt, so maybe that's it. She's nursing so much that she seems bloated... so I'm not sure if I'm overfeeding her. The crying comes and goes and really picked up today. No certain time of day or anything else I can put my finger on. It's just so odd that as soon as I let her nurse she quiets right down... so it can't be gas right??? I'm so confused.