Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: nipple confusion and slow flow... help!

Default nipple confusion and slow flow... help!

My son is a week old and had to go to formula because he was becoming dehydrated, lost too much weight and was also jaundiced. But now that he is back on track, we wanted to reattempt breastfeeding and had some problems.

We struggled to get him back to the breast. He'd scream and refused to latch on. If he did latch on, he would suck a few times and then still scream. We did finally have a small victory today and he did nurse on my breast for 10 minutes or so, with the help of a nipple shield. It sounded like he was sucking and swallowing, but I didn't see a ton of milk in the chamber of the nipple shield. Eventually he became upset again and gave up. Then when I pumped afterwards, I found that my output was about the same on that one breast, as if he didn't really get anything.

Firstly, do you have any tips for getting past nipple confusion? I've tried while he was awake, sleepy, using drops of milk on my nipple, expressing by hand... out of ideas other than just perseverance!

Secondly, I know that my flow is rather slow. Is it possible that it is too difficult for my son to get the nourishment he needs? I can see that while I'm pumping I just get slow drips, never any sprays, even during letdowns. I also know my supply is not currently enough to meet his demand and that we'll most likely have to supplement anyway.

I mostly want to breastfeed because of the convenience, aside from health benefits. The thought of exclusively pumping again (which I did for my older son) makes me cringe. But if my flow is slow and nursing is going to take me 40 min each time, I'm not sure if I'll have the patience for it.

Help?!?

Default Re: nipple confusion and slow flow... help!

The only thing that I can think of is perserverence. He's really young still so it's totally possible to get him to BF full-time. I have a friend whose baby was in the NICU and after weeks of tube feeding, went to bottle feeding and then eventually at about 6-7 weeks she got her to BF exclusively. She had to sit in her rocker with baby a lot and devote a lot of time to it, but was able to switch her from bottles to the breast--when at first the baby wanted nothing to do with the breast.

Since he isn't vigorously sucking at the breast right now and you want your supply to be good, I would keep trying OFTEN and also pump to get/keep things going. I hope it works out!

http://www.llli.org/FAQ/back.html

I had the same issue and it was tough. I about gave up twice. My lo is now three months and sometimes it is still a little struggle. But you can do it and it is so worth it. I have posted similar threads and got lots of help, you can check it out in my profile. whatever you do don't force it, do it casually and slowly,. What helped me most was a miini baby moon/nursing vacation i took one weekend. I literally led in bed topless with my lo all day. We got up to change her and me to use the bathroom. that's it. I nursed when she was sleepy, and now she takes the breast when she is hungry. HTH GOOD LUCK
    My little May baby just turned THE BIG ONE!
    Formally known as kaykate23

BTW We haven't had a bottle in over a week and she is a chunky monkey, you can really see the progression we have had in the last month by checking out my desperate threads. Kangaroo wearing was excellent for sleep time, I found her several times rooting around and I was amazed. There was not one thing that fixed it, it was a combination of persistence and skin to skin. You also may want to look into a SNS, that way you lo can get the milk he want for his immediate gratification as well as stimulating your production. I bought mine online relatively cheep. Where your lo is only a week it is probably better to try that then the bottle.
    My little May baby just turned THE BIG ONE!
    Formally known as kaykate23