Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: green vs. yellow -- poop

Default green vs. yellow -- poop

my son frequently poops green, sometimes yellow and often an orange-ish color.
    is this normal?
    what color is your lo's poop? geeze, what an odd question.

Default Re: green vs. yellow -- poop

Green means that you have more foremilk than hindmilk. Yellow I think is the best color meaning they are getting lots of the good fatty hindmilk. BUT I was also told that their poop colors will change. Check out this link

read #2
    http://www.kellymom.com/newman/04enough_milk.html

Juliana - that sounds within the range of normal. Check out this site by Dr. Jay Gordon on the Color of the Day. I keep this bookmarked for easy reference.

DECODING POOP, from this site:

Tarry black poop, your baby's first poop, is called meconium. You'll never see it again once it passes.

Mustard poop is common for breastfed babies. Supposedly breastfed babies make sweeter smelling poop. I don't know about you, but I've yet to meet a poop I'd call sweet.

Green poop is normal in the realm of baby poop. "Green", "poop", and "normal" all in one sentence. It's so surreal.

Orange poop is also par for the course. I don't know if it's a par 3 or par 4. It's definitely not a birdie.

Yellow poop - hello yellow! (It's late, I'm tired, and I'm running out of cutesy ideas.) Yellow is normal.

Multiple color and color-changing poop - as long as the colors are listed above (sans meconium reference), there's nothing to worry about. Baby poop changes colors on a frighteningly regular basis.

Chalky white poop could indicate that there is no bile from the liver to digest food. Call the doc.

Tarry black poop, when NOT the first poop, could mean there is blood in the digestive tract. Call the doc.

Bright red blood in poop means blood has been expressed very close to the anus (i.e. no time to turn black.) Call the doc.

Blue poop can only mean one thing...
    Last edited by Rochelleann; August 7th, 2007 at 05:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rochelleann View Post
    Juliana - that sounds within the range of normal. Check out this site by Dr. Jay Gordon on the Color of the Day. I keep this bookmarked for easy reference.
    thank you! I found this website to be very helpful!
    Betsy
    mama to:
    N 5/03
    J 6/07

Quote Originally Posted by Rochelleann View Post
    Okay...that's too scary!!!!! I'd also call an excorist!

Mommy to Aidan and Kaitlyn (09/12/02) and to Anderson (07/04/07)