Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Growth Spurt at 3 weeks

Default Growth Spurt at 3 weeks

My LO just turned 1 month and just had a growth spurt at 3 weeks where he was feeding every 2 hours on the dot and 3 hours at night. He was small when born 5lbs 10 oz, but at the doctor at 1 month he was 7lbs 4 oz (with a diaper and outfit on) So, he has gained big time. Ever since that Ped appointment he has all of a sudden started to sleep big time! The first night after the appointment (which was dealing with a reflux issue and a crazy mucous spitting up night) he crashed all day and all night. These next couple of days he has been sleeping a lot finally going 5 hours without rousing to eat and going three hours and only eating one side. Is this a normal crash after a growth spurt? I'm always concerned one way or the other. I was having to wake him every three hours to make sure he was gaining, but now that he is 7lbs, what is a typical schedule for him to eat, sleep and be awake? Should I still let him wake and decide or do i still dictate some of that? So confused. I also got a cold this week and he doesn't have any symptoms... no fever no cough, etc. Any info is helpful.

Default Re: Growth Spurt at 3 weeks

What's the diaper output like? Still OK? If so, I wouldn't worry.

My babies all started getting the hang of the normal day/night rhythm around 1-2 months, and sleeping longer stretches at night.

Is there an LLL or lactation clinic (lots of hospitals have them) near you that you could weigh your baby once a week to help put your mind at ease?

His weight has been great up to this point and diaper output, but we have just started running into some snags... ie reflux and now my cold. i wanted to make sure these things hadn't affected him, or there was something else going on... believe me, with this cold i definitely appreciated the extra sleep, especially after my every 2 hour feedings last week.

this is just my opinion, but I think your little one is going through a growth spurt NOW instead of what seemed to be one at 3 weeks. When they are that young, eating every 2 hours is quite normal. when my son had that first growth spurt, he slept A LOT! for about 3 days straight, he was sleeping and only waking to eat, and then he went back to being awake a little more and being a little more active.
    Babies grow when they sleep!
    and a little side note, my son is almost 7 months old, and when I am home, he eats every 1.5-3 hours during the day and every 3-4 at night!
    just wanted to share my opinion, not saying you are wrong or anything, but just letting you know my experience.
    Good luck

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!

ah very interesting. Well i am a first time mom and last week he went from 3 hour meals to 2 hour meals so i figure that was his growth spurt. He was small at birth, so he might have been behind a bit... and then again this isn't an exact science or we wouldn't have these forums At least i have a good idea that this is just normal. I will just go with it. Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by kburly77 View Post
    and then again this isn't an exact science or we wouldn't have these forums

so true...this forum has helped me a lot!!
    Well hopefully that is all it is for your LO. I think eating from 2-4 hours is average for newborns. I'm a first time mom too so I'm definately no authority!
    I hope things are going a little better today!

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!

I agree, I think your lo is still going through the growth spurt. There is usually a lot of sleeping with a growth spurt (and eating!) from my experience.
    And I also think it is totally normal for a baby so young to want to eat anywhere from every 1-4 hours. Of course, eating every hour is kind of crazy for mom, but it will change as baby matures. It can even change overnight. I would offer the breast if the baby seems hungry. I know some people advocate a schedule from the beginning. I don't think it is always realistic to have a 3 hour feeding sched.
    Just my opinion. Sounds like you're doing a great job new mama! Congratulations

i always get nervous if he starts to go 4 hours, but i guess that is ok? is there a point that i should still wake him or will he always wake when hungary?

I, personally, am in the camp of not waking babies. Of course, if I were very concerned about weight gain I might feel differently, but it sounds like you are not too concerned about that. I would let him sleep.

I actually had a slow gainer (she's catching up now who started sleeping a 9.5 hour stretch at night when she was 6 weeks. She did this 9 nights in a row! Then went for 3 nights where she wanted food twice in the night, then back to 10, even 11 hour stretches. I let her sleep, but I DID think about waking her to feed. I found, though, that she nursed A LOT during the day. Almost like she was making up for the time lost!

How many times does your lo nurse in a 24 hour period? I'd say if he's getting 7-8 feedings in, your fine (considering latch good and drinking with wet diaps).

Sorry so long...hope it helps!

I think more than anything I am concerned that my supply may decrease and i am trying to pump too and store up. I want to make sure he is getting what he needs and that my supply will not go away!