Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Off we go....

Default Off we go....

We are going for a short break my DH, Lo and myself. I need this break :evilgrin anyhow we will have facility of a pool and jacuzzi and have couple of questions pls:

(i) can i let my lo in a jacuzzi (he will be 6 months old)

(ii) is it ok for him to swim in a pool with clorine

(iii) i will definetely put sun block. My pedi recommended La Roche Posay Dermo Pediatrics 50+ is this ok to use?

(iv) i am trying to build my freezer storage with milk? How much breastmilk should i need for three days should i decide not to nurse my baby during those days (and obviously pump in the meantime).

TIA
    Mom to Wayne since 02.24.2007
    AND
    Keeran 07.19.2010

My kids are my life!

You don't choose your family. They are God's gift to you, as you are to them - Desmond Tutu

Default Re: Off we go....

The sunscreen sounds fine, but I would definately advise AGAINST letting your LO in the jacuzzi. They are just too hot for little children's bodies, and can possibly do damage to their internal organs (Signs posted at pools that I've been to do not allow any child under 14 into the jacuzzi.) Maybe sit your LO in a Bumbo seat or bouncy seat a safe distance from the hot tub if you and your hubby want to be in together! As for the breastmilk, I would bring about 120oz for three days if you're planning on feeding him from a bottle every feeding. Most babies this age will drink between about 28-38oz per day. Hope this helps and have a great time on your trip!!! I need one too

I agree with PP and no to the jacuzzi!

Chlorine is okay and so is sunscreen, they have tons of it for babies that seem to work great on their sensitive skin. (We use banana boat 50+ for babies, its tear free and have had no reaction or sunburns while using it and DS is only 2.5 MO)

Have fun, can we all come along with you?
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

We soak in a hotsprings, so I think its up to you about the jacuzzi. I soak in it pregnant as well. The hot springs is very hot. I just really pay attention to how I'm feeling and get in and out frequently. If I'm warm...dd is warm, kwim? I would be more worried about the chlorine than the water temperature. The hot springs we soak in is undeveloped and natural. We don't soak in the summer months, though, because its too hard to cool down quickly, so pay attention to the ambient air temperature and make sure its cool enough for both of you to cool down quickly once you get out. Sorry I can't be of more help with the chlorine.

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Oh, I want to go away too!

The jacuzzi can really drop children's blood pressures. I just checked the national safety council site and they advise against it. www.nsc.org

I'm not sure about the other questions. My LO is too young to have had to worry about them yet. Have a great time.
    Melissa, mom to my very busy 4-year-old little man and super busy 2-year-old princess.

Quote Originally Posted by MommyLuvsU View Post
    I agree with PP and no to the jacuzzi!

Chlorine is okay and so is sunscreen, they have tons of it for babies that seem to work great on their sensitive skin. (We use banana boat 50+ for babies, its tear free and have had no reaction or sunburns while using it and DS is only 2.5 MO)

Have fun, can we all come along with you?
    Thanks. Sure you can join and please keep my baby while i spend some time with DH
    Mom to Wayne since 02.24.2007
    AND
    Keeran 07.19.2010

My kids are my life!

You don't choose your family. They are God's gift to you, as you are to them - Desmond Tutu

Just a thought about pumping and bottle feeding...If you aren't used to full time pumping you might be more likely to get a plugged duct which isn't what you want to be dealing with on vacation. And, feeding from the source is so much more convenient...

Hope you have lots of fun!

Quote Originally Posted by jdunn79 View Post
    The jacuzzi can really drop children's blood pressures. I just checked the national safety council site and they advise against it. www.nsc.org
    I couldn't find the reference about blood pressure, only about temperature. Can you find the specific link? Thanks!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

You may want to check with your ped about the baby swimming. Apparently if they are younger than a certain age (and I don't know what that age is) they should not be in water above their ears. It is because they cannot get the water out.
    Dana
    Wife to Jonathan Edward, 3/29/2002
    Mother of Alexander "Lex" Edward, 3/4/2007
    Attachment Parenting - it's not what you do, it's why you do it.
    Breastfeeding
    Co-Sleeping
    Wearing Lex as often as possible
    Daytime cloth diaperer, nighttime sposie user

I couldn't find the reference about blood pressure, only about temperature. Can you find the specific link? Thanks!
    Sorry, I didn't mean that the info was all on that page. I should have been more clear.

I knew the blood pressure piece already. So here it is.....When the body's temperature rises the blood vessels dilate and blood pressure decreases. Children aren't as good at stabilizing their body temperature, so they are more affected than adults. It's the same for the elderly. I could only look quick, but this is the best site I could find. I hope this helps. It isn't specific to kids though. When I have more time I'll look more and post what I find.

http://www.health.uab.edu/default.aspx?pid=66070
    Melissa, mom to my very busy 4-year-old little man and super busy 2-year-old princess.