Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nap Time without Nursing?!

Default Nap Time without Nursing?!

Help! I am preparing my little guy for his first day at our Montessori school come the end of the month. I am concerned because for the past month he's been nursing to sleep for his nap--we've recently moved and I've stopped working--which I don't mind especially considering it's been a big transition period. What I'm worried about is when he goes down for a nap at school...should I try to set up a similar situation here at home to get him used to the idea? It seems like as long as I'm there, he finds a way to get his hands on "Mmm-ba". He still seems like a baby to me although he's almost two....has anyone else ever had these concerns/experiences? Any advice would be so appreciated!

Default Re: Nap Time without Nursing?!

If I'm home my lo expects to nurse down for a nap. But my dh or my mom can rock him to sleep when I'm gone without a problem. It's hard when they know your home and are use to their nice routine. If you're not there he may do fine.
    Laura, proud vbacing, ecological breastfeeding mommy to four ages 8, 6, 5, and 2. That's Kate nursing her doll, Adam.

The Seven Standards of ecological breastfeeding: (1) exclusive breasfeeding for the first 6 months (2) pacify baby at your breast (3) don't use bottles and pacifiers (4) co-sleep for night feedings (5) take a nursing nap (6) nurse frequently day and night; avoiding schedules (7) avoid practices that restrict nursing or separates you from your baby. The average return of menstruation for ecological breastfeeding mothers is between 14 and 15 months.

I have exactly the same question -- DS will be starting daycare at the end of the month and I'll phase out the naptime nursing. I've been wondering how early to start this -- already I've let the babysitter put him down a couple of times without a bottle, just a bowl of yogurt before naptime and then a sippy cup of milk on the bed before sleeping. We did this the other day during my root canal, since I wanted to pump and dump -- he rolled around a lot and took a long time to fall asleep, but then settled in for nap of almost 3 hours!!!!

You might want to check with the school and see how they work naptime -- Jeremy will be in a brand new infant/toddler program and when I asked them about it they really had no clue yet how they were going to work naps. People keep telling me that daycares work miracles with naps, and LOs learn to differentiate home naps from school naps, but I'd still like to get him a little bit prepared. I'd love to hear other peoples' experiences with this!
    Annie
    Mama to Jeremy Daniel (12/10/2005)

I'm a late cloth convert...and you? :tumbsup

Hi there- you may fiind that with a different caregiver, they don't even ask! My son will go right down, no fussing, for my husband or our sitter. If I try to put him down, he expects to nurse. You may be surprised! Good luck!

Ethan went down fine with his babysitter after a few months but she could almost fully devote herself to him--I guess I worry about it being a school setting and am afraid he won't get the comfort he's used to! We're going for a visit this week, to get him used to the environment, and I'll ask all about naptime then. Thank you! And good luck!