Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: acid reflux

Default acid reflux

My 2 week old son has acid reflux the dr has put him on medicine because he kept throwing up everything that was on his stomach. Friends and family are telling me to put a little bit of cereal in breast milk for his feedings has anyone else done this or ever heard of anyone doing this. Any information would be greatly appreciate I have tried several things and nothing seems to be working.

Default Re: acid reflux

It is not generally recc that you add cereal to EBM or formula. It could be dangerous if a baby were to aspirate it into his/her lungs. In some cases, a doctor will recc that you help weigh down your LOs feedings to help prevent spitting up. IMO, though, at 2 weeks, I think the cereal would cause more harm than good. Your LOs digestive system is WAY TOO immature to handle any type of solid foods. If you do choose this route, please talk to your ped first.

My DS has GERD. He was diagnosed at 5 wks (though, looking back, the symptoms started pretty much at birth). We had a ped recc the cereal thing but chose not to follow the advice. Zantac helped alleviate his symptoms but when he was switched to Prevacid, they all but dissapeared (unless we happened to miss a dose).

Try keeping your LO upright as often as possible, especially during/after a feeding and keep him propped up at night.

HTH

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

Hi, and welcome to the forums.

My LO (little one) had reflux as well and we had her on Zantac until she was 6 months.

What kind of meds did your pediatrician prescribe? How long has he been taking them? It sometimes takes a little while to see an effect. Does he seem to be in pain from the reflux?

Some doctors will prescribe a small amount of rice cereal in the bottles of formula fed babies, but it is generally not recommended, especially for breastfed babies. Cereal in a bottle is a choking hazard and solids this early can wreak havoc on a developing GI tract. There are a lot of other things that you can try without resorting to cereal.

One common problem in some reflux babies is the cow's milk protein coming through in breastmilk. You might try eliminating dairy from your diet and see if that helps with his reflux.

In our particular experience it wasn't the cow's milk, but we got great relief from infant Zantac. The doc had originally prescribed Reglan, but DD displayed terrible side affects and we took her off immediately. Others have had success with infant Prevacid.

A lot of us have had experience with different degrees of reflux & can give you some tips of what worked for us if you give us some more details

Hope that helps!

Ped put him on Axid last Monday (a week ago yesterday) he takes it in the AM and PM he was doing really good until sunday and started throwing up again and now starting yesterday he is really fussy and hurting he will just scream and then you can hear his little stomach rolling around.

Oh and I am lactose intolerant so I don't get that much dairy in my diet.

My ped started DD on the bare minimum dosage and we found we had to increase the amount she needed pretty quickly. Maybe call the doc and ask if he thinks your son needs to increase his dosage? I know it's soon, but at this age they're growing exponentially. Just a thought -