Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Fussy baby.....Need help with Number 2's!

Question Fussy baby.....Need help with Number 2's!

My 11 -week old is exclusively breastfed. For about the last month he has been having BMs every 3-4 days. The longest he has gone, without a BM, is 5 days. I have called the doctors twice about this. I understand that breastfed babies can go a few days without a BM. My pediatrician stated this again and also told me , "we're not too worried about how many days between BMs, we look at how they are acting". The doctor said that if he is really fussy and showing signs of hurting due to no BM then to first try "rectal stimulation" then a suppository.It has been pretty obvious a couple of times that he is really uncomfortable. I know the doctor said a suppository was o.k, but it just seems like there has to be something else out there that would help him when it has been 4 or so days since his last BM and he is really fussy and uncomfortable.

Does anyone have any suggestions or personal experiences, with this issue, to share? All I have tried so far is moving his legs in a bicycle motion to "move the bubbles" around.I've also been told to try dark Karo Syrup. I haven't asked the doctor about that one yet.

Default Re: Fussy baby.....Need help with Number 2's!

No personal experience to go on, but I think that some types of baby massage can aid in digestion.

My LC told me something that was very helpful when my DD seemed constipated. I would hold her facing out (I think they called it a chair position) and pull her knees up to her chest. This was especially helpful when she seemed to be straining. She started going every 2-4 days around this time. Eventually things even out as their intestines mature.

Good luck.

Thank you for your help. I tried sitting him in "chair position" this AM. It definately got the "bubbles" moving a bit as he tooted his way through the morning ( he he). I hope it works as well for those times he's really uncomfortable and hasn't a BM in a few days.