Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: always wants to feed when i hold him

Default always wants to feed when i hold him

Hi-
    My baby is 10 days old and he seemes to want to feed every time I hold him. Even when he just finished 20/30 minutes ago he tries to feed if I am holding him. He will usually fall asleep or just be content if someone else is holing him. Is this normal? I am guessing it is but will it change? I want to hold him but I dont want to feed all day, every day, every time! He is feeding every 2 to 3 hrs normally.

Thanks-
    Ali

Default Re: always wants to feed when i hold him

Trust me, this will change as he gets older! I think the feel of your breasts and your smell probably trigger this reflex. It's also possible he's going through a growth spurt, or has a high sucking need. For now, just nurse him. It won't hurt him, it's an excuse for you to sit down, and it will help keep your cycles gone. Someday you might miss all the time you have to just hold your baby and nurse him.

It's normal for babies that age to want to eat so often, BM get digested very quickly. Also they might want to be at the breast even if they're not hungry, that's call comfort nursing.

At 10 days, this is probably a growth spurt, so if he cues to nurse, just nurse. It will be intense for a day or two, but then it will be over and he will go back to longer stretches between feedings.

That rooting-around behavior when he is in your arms is actually a wonderful sign that your nursing relationship is getting well-established. He knows where the good stuff is and is letting you know what he needs! I know it can feel overwhelming and exhausting, but he will have plenty of time later on to learn that mom is good for lots more than just nursing.

--Rebecca

Thanks for the advice-

Ali

Hey Ali
    Congrats on your new baby! My son is new also, 3 weeks old. He does exactly what you describe your son does. I was beginning to feel deprived of just cuddling him because whenever I held him he just rooted around all over my chest grunting until I either passed him to my husband or fed him. From what I read babies have a very developed sense of smell & know where dinner comes from by smell. I just started turning Zach around, holding him so the back of his head was on my chest and he faced forward. This helped a little, I guess because his face/nose wasn't right at the breast area.
    Dawn

This too shall pass! My son used to nurse all the time; I remember sitting at the dining table, nursing him while having my own breakfast and simultaneously shovelling brans flakes into my toddler. Now at eight month old, he is often too busy to breastfeed and finds many things much more interesting.

At the moment, you may have some kind of tunnel vision and feel that the time when your baby will be eight months old is like a million years away. But it will be there before you know it. Try to relax and go with the flow. It's tough now, but in a few weeks time it will probably be much easier.

When she was that age, my daughter loved to stare at my mom and my husband and play with them but when she was in my arms she only wanted to eat! I felt like a wet nurse and not a mommy but this stage, believe it or not, will be over in a month or two.

Congratulations on your new baby!

Believe it or not you will miss this time once your little one is interested in exploring the world! Put your feet up and nurse your baby, this time will go by too quickly, I promise!
    Mother to Emily June, b. Sept 18, 2005 and Lucy Quinn, b. 1/20/2012

“Buy the ticket, take the ride."
    Hunter S. Thompson

Excitement on the Side: Who doesn't love a confident woman with long boobs...