Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Not producing enough, but still leaking a lot

lmcok is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Question Not producing enough, but still leaking a lot

My baby girl sadly is not getting enough milk from me. We've breast fed for two weeks, but now drinks 4 or more ounces at each feeding, and I can't keep up with her anymore. I actually at sometimes will only now pump 1 - 2 ounces, and I've tried everything I'm supposed to to produce more. I am now having to give formula, but I am still producing some of the milk. Question being, how do I now get my breasts to stop leaking out this little bit of milk I'm producing...it's not enough to feed her, but it's enough to make a mess on my shirts!

Default Re: Not producing enough, but still leaking a lot

Congratulations on your new baby!

We're here to help. First, I have a few questions for you so that I can better understand your situation. What makes you feel that you don't have enough milk for your baby? Are you nursing or pumping only? How often does your baby feed? Does your baby spit up after the 4 ounce feeds?

lmcok is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

She never spits up after breastfeeding. I have done both nursing and pumping, just trying to keep up with her. She has been getting full off of 4 ounces, but I'm not producing near that.

Welcome!
    Pumping output is NOT a good indicator of milk production. Generally, the baby is much better at removing milk from your breasts than a pump.
    Frequent feeding is NOT a sign of low milk production. Newborns feed frequently, it is completely normal.
    Generally, the only indicators that a newborn is not getting enough are (1) too much weight loss/do not start gaining after milk comes in, (2) too few wet and dirty diapers. Has your baby lost weight, or is she not peeing and pooing enough?
    Why did you think you were not producing enough in the first place?
    If there is milk leaking from your breasts, you are clearly producing milk. Allowing your baby to nurse from your breasts as much as possible, even if they feel "empty" is the best way to stimulate milk production.
    If you want to breastfeed I think you can still do it!

Got Milk? Milk Supply Issues
    How Does Milk Production Work?
    Is Your Milk Supply Really Low?
    Weaning From Formula Supplements

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Quote Originally Posted by lmcok View Post
    She never spits up after breastfeeding.
    Does she spit up after bottle feeding?

Quote Originally Posted by lmcok View Post
    I have done both nursing and pumping, just trying to keep up with her. She has been getting full off of 4 ounces, but I'm not producing near that.

What you can pump is not a good indicator of your milk production levels.

The reason why I asked about spitting up is because a baby's stomach is only about the size of their fist. The stomach capacity of a 2 week old is going to be about 1.5-2.5 ounces. Here's some more info:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/col....html#capacity

It's easy for a baby to take more than they need through a bottle, and oftentimes the excess comes back up.

What led you to believe that your baby is not getting enough? Are you concerned about her weight? Was she not wetting frequently enough? Or was she feeding very frequently?

Have you read this information?
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/enough.html

What has you most concerned, lmcok? What would you like to see happen? We're here to help you reach your goals!

I nursed my twins (now close to 5 years old) for 14 months. I could NEVER pump more than one or two ounces (to make two to four ounces total) through their entire nursing time. For the first couple of months I was pumping for four bottles each per day (they would nurse about 5 times per day also), so that we could add formula to up the calorie content for my teenie ones. It would take me ALL day to get the 16-20 ozs that I would need for the next days bottles. I was so discouraged and would sit and cry while I pumped because I wasn't making more (and had friends that were pumping exclusively for their twins....and they really produced). I had a Medela Pump N Style....and I was always worried that I wasn't producing enough, and that maybe I should've rented a better pump or that I wasn't diligent or that I was starving my babies. However, it became clear that these happy healthy infants were getting fed when they started refusing ALL bottles....I just couldn't pump well!

I actually am using an Avent pump this time and pumping more efficiently....not recommending a new pump or anything....just noting how different things can be with different pregnancies, babies, and brands.

Good luck....follow the PPs links and advice. If you're leaking....you're producing! And to answer that question...I like the Johnson and Johnson breast pads (you can get them at WalMart) in the early weeks...they're cushy on the nips. After the early weeks, and you're "tougher" I like the medela brand or the washable pads. Definately stops embarrasing spots when you're out of the house (or in the house with company or older children that notice everything!).
    Last edited by KariC; August 7th, 2007 at 09:38 PM. Reason: clarifying

Mommy to Aidan and Kaitlyn (09/12/02) and to Anderson (07/04/07)