Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why is he pulling off

Default Why is he pulling off

My lo is not nusing well tonight. He starts ith a great latch but he gets angry and start pulling away. It doesn't matter if I am having a let down or not. I try to calm him, but he's only calm for a few! I know there is milk coming out....
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

Default Re: Why is he pulling off

DD did this when she was gassy or needed to burp. Sometimes she would get so mad! It worked for us to calm her down for a good 20 minutes before trying again. I also nursed her in motion for the fussy feedings. Walking, in a rocking chair, bouncing on a ball (that I was supposed to use for my sit-ups- oops).

Are you engorged? Too much of the watery foremilk can upset babies stomach. DD was also sensitive to cows milk in my diet.

Also if he is fussing while you are having a let down, the spray might be a bit strong for him. I had to pull DD off and let her suck on my finger until the spray was over. It seemed for us that 3 weeks was about the time she started getting really fussy. And it took me until she was 2 mos old to find the forum and figure out why she was fussy! So you are way ahead of me!

Keep up the good work!

Maybe it's burping... he is finally peaceful...

ok here we go again

There are many things that it could be. Can you give us more info? Is he coughing or choking? Is he arching his back, or pulling up his legs?

He was very sleepy. He would nurse for a few minutes and then he would pull his head back like he was going to unlatch but he would pull my nipple with him... I think he was exhausted, because he slept from 1am - 7am w/o waking on his own for feedings

My DD would do that if she was just wanting to suck when she was sleepy, but she was full. She would pull off because she really didn't want anymore milk, just the comfort of sucking. Could that be it?

Mine will do that when gassy or tired. If I offer a pinkie insyead of breast it helps, b/c he gets mad at the milk!
    Kat

SAHM mom to Richard, born 6/6/07 at 8 pounds, now 27!

Wife to Michael for 13 years

You might find this article reassuring. http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/fussy-evening.html

Update:
    So I believe he is siucking for comfort.(I test the theory using my lip...that worked!!! Now my lip hurts!!!) Like I mentioned b4 he won't take any pacifers. I have tried 4 different kind. I read a post about the soothie, so that was the lastest one. he seems to like it but won't suck long...sometimes he even acts like they choke him. Do I continue to try the pacifer? Do they pacifers like an upper lip?
    Last edited by @llli*babygurl; August 4th, 2007 at 05:43 PM.