Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 8 month old suddenly refusing to sleep

Default 8 month old suddenly refusing to sleep

My dd turned 8 months last week and we seem to have hit a roadblock with her sleep. She has never slept through the night, but she was fairly easy to get down for a nap or bed at night. When she did awaken at night, she would eat and go right back down to sleep.

For the past two days, she cries whenever I take her into her room, get her paificer out, try to hold her in the position we have used to rock her to sleep. She basically only napped yesterday when we were out in the stroller and then on her dad's chest (after much crying). She was waking at 630 or so, but now is up at 5 and not wanting to go back to sleep.

I know that this is probably a developemental stage, but it is really hard. She is getting 4 teeth right now and just starting to crawl. Tell me it is going to get better and that she will be willing to nap again.

Sorry for the long post, but I just need some support.

Default Re: 8 month old suddenly refusing to sleep

It gets better. You have the double whammy of teeth and crawling. That's about the point we decided to co-sleep b/c all of us were able to get more sleep and that's important in my family. We're still co-sleeping (after his first night waking) at 18 months, but if we wanted him in his own bed at this point, we could probably do it.

We totally went through this when Henry was getting two teeth and learning to crawl at 8 months. When you're in the middle of it, it seems like it's always been awful, and always will be awful! but of course it passes and will get better, probably sooner than you think. Once those teeth come through things will probably improve drastically for you. I remember getting so frustrated with henry, and just had to remind myself that he's a baby, and he's crying because he needs me, not to punish me, no matter how exhausted I was!

Anne- Mom to two active boys: Henry 10/06 and Jamie 4/09

Looking for an LLL leader in your area? click:

confused about abbreviations? check this out:

ericsmom is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Its tough not to sleep! I find that if I just keep to the same routine as much as possible my lo's eventually fall back to what they were doing before the road block.