Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Boppy Dependent

Pazygozo is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Default Boppy Dependent

Sooo, last Sunday I was in the mother's lounge at church, sitting cross-legged on the floor nursing my little guy, since that's the only way (with my knees) I could get him high enough and supported. Yes, it's a little uncomfy, but I only have to do it when we're out and about, and at least he will eat that way. He gets really fussy with the cross-cradle hold without more support under him, and I just can't seem to get him latched on in the cradle hold, so that's even more awkward.

When I explained this to another mother who wondered why I wasn't sitting in a rocker or the couch, she gave this knowing smile and said, "OH! You're Boppy dependent! I was like that with my first." And contemplating on that and reviewing our habits this past week, I think she's right. At home, I just sit in my rocker, lay him out on the boppy, latch him on with the cross-cradle, and support my breast with one hand, leaving the other free to cuddle him, or reach water/phone/book. This is working great for us while we're at home.

But away from home... I think I'll bring my boppy with us on our errands today, and see how that goes! I guess I'm just wondering if anybody else was in the same situation, and what I can do.

Do they need to be a certain age/growth level before the cradle hold really works? I think that might be the answer for us, but it's still so tricky! Any ideas???

Default Re: Boppy Dependent

Once my DD got a little bigger, it got much easier to go witout the nursing pillow. But that was around 5 months or so. I had a little pillow that was travel sized (got it at www.littlebeam.com) that I hauled around for a while before I could get the hang of it with no pillow...

I was using a boppy and cross-cradle hold at first too. I did eventually "wean" myself from the boppy though, LOL. What I did was slowly switch over to a cradle hold in stages.

(For ease of explanation, I'm going to explain how I did it with the baby nursing on my right breast.)

At first, I would latch him on my right breast using a cross-cradle hold. Then, I would take my hand away from supporting my breast and slide my right arm under his head. My left hand would still be holding his head and providing most of the support, but my right arm was getting used to holding his body up (instead of the boppy).

After I got used to that, I started to move my left hand away from his head so that my arm woud be supporting his head more. I still left it up there, but I mostly just stroked his face/hair with it.

Finally, the left arm moved away from his head and I was able to nurse completely using a cradle hold and no boppy! It only took, a week? maybe 2 weeks? before I was confident enough to nurse him that way when we were out.

You can do it!

wow, i am the same way! it is so hard nursing without my beloved boppy! i am so glad you posted! i am looking forward to all the suggestions!

Pazygozo is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

It's so good to know I'm not alone in this! Thanks for the support and encouragement and instructions! I've tried it a few times and think it can really work! Yay! I do have a question though.

Quote Originally Posted by cailin
    At first, I would latch him on my right breast using a cross-cradle hold. Then, I would take my hand away from supporting my breast and slide my right arm under his head.
    When I take my hand away from supporting my breast, its weight pulls the nipple out of his mouth and we're back where we started. Sometimes it takes a little bit, so I'm actually able to get my arm under him, but still... So, now what do I do? Besides keep practicing, of course!

TIA!

I am not dependent on a boppy, ds1,dd and ds2 were not fans of the boppy. Don't get me wrong I tried one with each of them. Even different ones. I noticed though that you are having trouble keeping your breast up, I had this same issue till ds1,dd and ds2 have stonger neck muscle. What I did was roll up a receiving blanket or something similar in size and put it right underneath my breast and that's what supported my breast. You would have to figure out what the amount of roll you would need though. I'm sure it wont be the whole blanket as was the case with me. Hope that helps.

I also had difficulty using the cradle hold at first with my DS. I tried to latch on using the cross cradle and then move my arm as PP described but DS got very frustrated with the juggling and had trouble holding onto the nipple. I just kept trying occasionally to latch him initially in the cradle hold. By the time he was about 2 1/2 to 3 months we were able to do it well, and this way I could continue to support my breast with one hand instead of moving it. I think once the baby gets a little bigger and better at latching without any help, the cradle becomes easier.

It will get easier as your baby gets a little bigger and more neck control. At the same time, your arm muscles are getting stronger as well. I used to bring my bobby with me to friends and relatives houses. By about 2.5 months I had stopped using the boppy altogether. Now DD uses it occasionally to lie/sit in. Depending on where/how. I'm sitting, my back may hurt trying to nurse in public, but it's doable. Hang in there and it will happen.
    Eva
    Mom to Alyssa (11/26/05)