Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help!

Unhappy Help!

My baby is just over 2 months old and the doctor says that she has a food allergy because she has mucousy stool with blood in it. I have avoided all possible foods that she could possible be allergic to for the last week and a half and her diapers are still mucousy. I know it is supposed to take up to three weeks before some foods are out of my system, but her stools seem to not be getting any better and I'm getting nervous. She is fussy often and wakes up every morning with gas pains.

I'm afraid that the doctor is going to make me stop breastfeeding! Please, does any one have any advice or a similar experience they can share with me?

I don't want to stop breastfeeding my daughter!

Default Re: Help!

Is there still blood?

What color are the stools? mustard yellow? greenish-yellow-brown?

The color is always changing. Lately it has been more greenish-yellow, I guess. I have to practically look for the blood with a microscope, it is so small, like specks of it. But yes about 2 diapers ago there was still a speck.

My advice is to give it more time -- the blood comes from fissures in the gut, and it takes time for them to heal AFTER the irritating protein (or whatever) is completely out of your milk.

There is an allergies forum further down the index of these boards -- I bet if you post there you'll get lots of great BTDT advice.

--Rebecca

Thanks! I posted a message there as well.