Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: One boob bigger than the other one

Default One boob bigger than the other one

Ok this may sound weird but I have one boob bigger than the other one. This started a couple of months ago when the smaller breast was hurtting sooo bad and sore that I didnt nurse my daughter from that breast for about maybe 2 weeks(cant remember exactly how long) Well my breast started to get really engorged and leakkiing really bad but I didnt want to nurse because it would hurt way too much!! But eventually I statred nursing her again on that breast but I noticed that it got smaller and it dosent produce as much milk as the other one. If I start at that breast she will stop nursing in about 10min. then goes on the other breast and you can hear her gulping the milk down and I feel a stronger let down. Is this happened to anyone? Can I get my small breast back to the same size as the other one? How can I get the smaller breast to produce more milk?

Default Re: One boob bigger than the other one

Oh yeah!! My left is smaller than my right and doesn't produce as much. I don't know why bc from day one I was switching like I was supposed to. Now to even things out I always put a breast pad there. It's embarrassing to me. I hope I won't be like this even after she weans.
    My name is Rosie and I'm a mother to 3 girls and 2 boys

My girls:Janessa 10.30.93, Reanna 03.25.99 and Mylee 09.20.06
    My sons, Isaiah 07.16.97 and Shawn 09.12.08

Do you have a pump? I would think that it's just a supply issue. I would try pumping the smaller breast after every feeding no matter what side LO nurses from. I notice that whichever breast has gone the longest without being "used" will get bigger.

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

Pump or nurse more on the smaller side it will produse more eventually. Hopefully that will even things out for you. I am the same way. Some days I'm even, others I'm not. I just dont care anymore, LOL. I hope they even out when I wean her but if they dont oh well.

The same thing happened to me, and it's like that for SO MANY women for all kinds of reasons. I call it the "appetizer/dessert" boob, while the bigger one is the "main course." Haha. I mostly start feeding her on the smaller side because babies suck harder on the first breast (which stimulates production). But if it's nap or bedtime I try to let her fall asleep sucking on the smaller one because she'll keep sucking after it's empty (which also stimulates more production) and she won't get mad if she's had the bigger one first. Anyway, despite my efforts, I was able to increase the amount of milk, but not enough to match the bigger one. I'm confident the bigger one will shrink when we're done nursing.

I have one side that makes more and it has been that way through both of my experiences. I can say, though, that they DID even out again after weaning my first child. So it's likely only a temporary thing!

I have had the same concern. I'm always afraid that someone will notice when I am work that oneo f my boobs is smaller. In the begining my DD would nurse off the right.. it was easier for me for some reason, then I got the hang of it nursing on the left. Now my left is way bigger then the right. I am always starting her off on the right to try to get it bigger.. but no matter what I do.. it doesn't increase. I know that it produces... my pads always have milk in them. I have even been pumping more on that side. When I do pump at work.. I noticed that I can get about 4 oz out from the left and about 2 oz from the right.. .and I know DD can get more then that out from the right... she gulps when nursing. I too hope that after weaning they will go back to matching.