Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: am I doing the right thing?

Talking Re: am I doing the right thing?

Thank you sooooooo much for all the suggestions. It all came to a head this weekend with her waking up at night crying and pushing but nothing coming out. It was soo upsetting to watch and not really know what to do. In the end I called up NHS direct - a helpline for any health concerns in the UK - but just as I was talking to a nurse about it and she was about to send us to the dr, my lovely little one finally managed to get a little poo out. It was rock solid, i could see why she had been struggling. as my hubby was changing her, she was screaming and then out came another 2 solid balls of poo and then she weed as well, all over her mat and my hubby!! ha ha!! about half an hour later, another solid ball of poo, I felt so sorry for her as i could really see how uncomfortable it must have been. About 2 hours later, she pooed again but this time it was so watery, it leaked out of everywhere!!!!! and then again before the end of the day and since then she has been pooing over and over, all watery thankfully so no pain, just a lot of mess on the bed, on her dad, on the carpet!!!!!!!!! Now the concern is whether she has diarrhoea!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, now I am staying with her for the next few weeks as we are off on holiday so will use the opportunity to ease her slowly into solids, just fruits or a few spoonfuls of cereal a day and a whole lot of fluid with each meal and me breastfeeding a lot in between.

Thanks a lot everyone.
    Last edited by romary18; August 27th, 2007 at 05:34 PM. Reason: wanted to add pic but dont know how

Default Re: am I doing the right thing?

Wow! That must have been a great relief!
    Slowing down the solids and increasing fluids is a great idea.

Here's something from kellymom.com about diarrhoea:
    Diarrhea in a breastfed baby is diagnosed when a baby has 12-16 stools per day (or more often than the baby's regular stool frequency), watery stools, and an offensive odor to the stools. Just one of these symptoms does not in itself mean the baby has diarrhea.
    Caylen Koen Chew (25/05/06)
    Lost No.2 in Aug 2008 ... Lost No. 3 in May 2009 Hoping for another ... Enjoying No.1

Quote Originally Posted by romary18 View Post
    Thank you sooooooo much for all the suggestions. It all came to a head this weekend with her waking up at night crying and pushing but nothing coming out. It was soo upsetting to watch and not really know what to do. In the end I called up NHS direct - a helpline for any health concerns in the UK - but just as I was talking to a nurse about it and she was about to send us to the dr, my lovely little one finally managed to get a little poo out. It was rock solid, i could see why she had been struggling. as my hubby was changing her, she was screaming and then out came another 2 solid balls of poo and then she weed as well, all over her mat and my hubby!! ha ha!! about half an hour later, another solid ball of poo, I felt so sorry for her as i could really see how uncomfortable it must have been. About 2 hours later, she pooed again but this time it was so watery, it leaked out of everywhere!!!!! and then again before the end of the day and since then she has been pooing over and over, all watery thankfully so no pain, just a lot of mess on the bed, on her dad, on the carpet!!!!!!!!! Now the concern is whether she has diarrhoea!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, now I am staying with her for the next few weeks as we are off on holiday so will use the opportunity to ease her slowly into solids, just fruits or a few spoonfuls of cereal a day and a whole lot of fluid with each meal and me breastfeeding a lot in between.

Thanks a lot everyone.
    Wow you are so lucky. I am in the middle of this right now. My DD is 5 1/2 months old. We started solid about a month ago. Pedi's orders. She wanted to see her gain more weight. Well it has been downhill ever since. She doesn't sleep well or poop well anymore. 2 things she was great at before. I have tried everything the pedi recommended. Giving her prune/apple juice, giving apple juice, giving apricots, prunes, pears, and peaches and she doesn't like any of them. I have not given her 2 supositories over the past 2 weeks and I don't know what else to do. I hate giving her these. She poops a couple hard balls everyday but nothing soft. Any suggestions that worked for you would be great.

Hi- I just wanted to throw in another option for getting water into babies is a grown-ups cup. My baby won't take bottles or sippy cups but has loved drinking out of a cup or glass since he was 4 months. Its a big mess (70% of the water goes on him or the floor or me) so I won't give him pumped milk that way, but at least I feel like it's satiating his thirst some when I am out or when he is fighting nursing.
    Best Wishes-
    Susan (mom to Afton, 4 and Dana, 7 months)

To Sarahs1
    I had to finally decide that my LO was not completely ready for solids so I had to slow right down to just a spoon of cereal if she would have it and a whole lot of breastfeeding. Until her stools went back to normal. I think that you have to follow your instincts for what is best for your LO, even if every1 tells u to start solids. as a pharmacist, i dont think Constipation is normal, (it does happen a lot when solids introduced but I think it is a sign that my LO is not ready for too much yet) though every1 told me to expect it but I am convinced that time is all my LO requires so her insides get used to the idea of having any solids. So now I am giving her a cereal called cerelac which is quite high in calories (about 200Kcal to 50g) though she is only having as much as she will take without me forcing her. then I give her water in a cup with a spout which she is more willing to have now after a whole lot of trying over and over again. BUt as I say, i keep offering her the breast. stewed Apple and pear as well. If her poo starts to firm up again then i will slow down even more until her insides are ready. I am just determined to take my time. I will try something else soon, but on holiday for the next 2 weeks in USA (wooppee!!) so cerelac and apple/pear is all she will have til we get back home.

Anyway, feel free to ask any questions.