Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: am I doing the right thing?

Unhappy am I doing the right thing?

My lovely LO - 5.75 months - decided a few weeks ago that she would no longer accept EBM in a bottle. I have made sure that she has had a bottle at least once each week since she was born because I knew I would have to return to work and wanted to keep breastfeeding. Of course, she has ideas of her own, ha ha and decided she wanted the real deal or nothing. I then started to try to teach her to use a cup with a spout on the advice of the midwives. So far this has not been successful. I have been told that when she is hungry, she will drink. However, I dont really want to wait til she is hungry so I have asked her carer to give her solids - baby cereals and sometimes fruit which i prepare -when i am not home and I breastfeed when i am with her.

However, she is now pretty constipated. Her poo is so solid and she is so uncomfortable when trying to get it out once every 4 days or so (she used to be at least once a day). I am soo worried about her as she refuses liquids of any kind while I am away so I know she is probably dehydrated. I am only working 3 days a week but I feel like I have deserted her. She seems happy when i get home but this constipation is worrying me. Also, I am worried she will self-wean soon as she isnt nursing as frequently. I would really like to breastfeed for at least 2years. I keep thinking I should reduce my hours even further but my finances wont really allow this, Unless I pray hard for some kind of a miracle!!!!!!!! Anyway, any tips or suggestions or just sympathy would be great.

Default Re: am I doing the right thing?

I don't have any good advice. Just wanted to give you

Well, if she is eating pretty good maybe try giving her something that wont constipate her? I know cereal can do that to a baby. My son gets that way if he eats certain things, cereal being on of them.
    Maybe try more fruits and veggies instead of cereal? (if that is something you want to do of course)
    I just started a part time job last week and my DS wont take a bottle either, but he will drink from a regular cup, so I understand a little of what you are going through.
    Sorry not more helpful

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!

Our GI dr said that cereal wil constipate a baby because of the iron. MY LO had poop issues too so he said to skip cereal all together. We started on butternut squash and sweet potatoes first. I made them at home. They have been great at helping with the poops. She poops abotu every 3-4 days now, before it was up to 2 weeks! I noticed that peas make her poops hard too. So we mainly do the squash and sweet potatoes. Trying gfreen beans tonight. then onto applesauce and banans, etc... Try the sweet potatoes instead of cereal in the next couple of days. Maybe also some water mizxed with pedialyte or baby apple juice. the dr also told us 4-6 oz of water a day to help with poops.

GOOD LUCK!!!!
    Proud wife to Pete, 5-9-04
    Proud 1st time mom to Lilly 2-1-07 born at 36 weeks, 5lbs 1 oz, au natural!

http://www.lillybugdesigns.com
    Handmade accessories for mom and baby
    All made with love, and by hand[/COLOR]

We had constipation problems also when starting solids (along with not taking bottles). What our GI dr. said was to give them some juice mixed with water, or just plain water (not more then 4 oz a day). It helped. When it gets really bad he said to give them milk of magnesia to get them going again. Works like a charm .
    Nancy
    Mom to Elijah & Audrey 9/19/06
    Twin GERDlings

for 21 mo

how long are you gone at work?
    what are her nursing patterns like? Does baby sleep all night long?
    Some babies just refuse to eat when they aren't with mom, and make up for it by nursing all night or just nursing more often when you are together.

Solids at that age would be ok!
    Dr sears has some good stuff on his web site about pooping.
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/T081100.asp

I agree with the other moms, cut out the foods you think are bothering her and then introduce them slowly when her poop is easier.

You may also want to try a sippy cup instead of the bottle, that is what I finally resorted to when they stopped taking a bottle. We found for beginners the nuby ones worked well since if they chew on the silicon spout they get the milk.
    Last edited by NancyG; August 9th, 2007 at 07:36 AM.
    Nancy
    Mom to Elijah & Audrey 9/19/06
    Twin GERDlings

for 21 mo

My LO was really resisting the bottle when I went back to work. She was about 5 months and wouldn't take it at all, despite our attempts in the weeks leading up to my going back. It was really distressing. She would take 2 oz (basically what dripped into her mouth from the bottle) and fussed the whole time. It took a month or so, but with consistency, she eventually decided she would take it. She is 9 months now and holds it for herself--a huge accomplishment given she didn't want anything to to with it originally. Hang in there. She won't starve herself. My LO always waited for me to get home and was eager to nurse when I got there. She would also get me up for a night feeding.

Cereal can be binding. Pears have been a good food for us and was the first thing I tried at around 6 months. We also love love love sweet potatoes. These have caused no trouble in the potty department and were easily received. How long are you away from baby during the day?

i always made my first sons cereal with organic brown rice. it was always really easy on his system and did not constipate him like the box cereals. it is really easy to make and so much better for baby. just take your brown rice (uncooked) and stick it in a blender- then blend until powder. stick 1/2 cup on stove, add half cup water and cook like making rice. you can make it in batches as big or small as you would like depending on how much baby eats. you can add your breast milk to rice to make as thick or thin as baby desires. if you want more details i can give exact instructions... this is just from memory from my first little one. as baby gets older you can blend less... i am not sure how long baby has been on solids and what consistency is needed.

Babies often get constipated when solids are first introduced. It helps for them to drink water/juice. The other alternative is to give them fruits loaded with water (watermelon, ripe pears). I found bananas and cereal binding for my son. Another friend got things moving using her doctor's suggestion: mashed carrots with a bit of olive oil mixed in.
    Caylen Koen Chew (25/05/06)
    Lost No.2 in Aug 2008 ... Lost No. 3 in May 2009 Hoping for another ... Enjoying No.1